Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer Output Through Stereo System

Posted by darwinsflinch (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 18:02

I was running music from iTunes and Pandora from my Computer through a three-way switch to my stereo system on another floor. It was working fine until I had to take apart the computer system for renovations in the basement. Once we were done, I could not find the diagram on how I had it set up and have failed at every attempt so far.

I have learned so much from these forums, I thought I would throw it out to you all for some help. A diagram of my setup is here.

The input and output to the computer speakers works and is set up with 1/8" jacks. The output to the stereo is standard speaker wire with RCA plugs at the stereo end. The Speaker Selector is rated for 8 ohms. No matter how I arrange the speaker wire, I cannot get output at the amplifier.

Anyone have a thought?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer Output Through Stereo System

I'm kind of bewildered here, but why do you have black and red going into red and red?

Also, you seem to be using a speaker level switch with line level inputs, which is a recipe for problems.

Why not get something like the following? Plug into back of computer, then plug computer speakers into one of the two jacks and run a cord from the other into your amp. If necessary get a second jack that turns the 1/8 miniplug into two RCA jacks (on next page from link as CAT# AD-18)

Here is a link that might be useful: 1/8 splitter

o
RE: Computer Output Through Stereo System

A line-art diagram would be more helpful here. I suspect darwinsflinch is going from black to red because that's the color the manufacturer used. You can see the embossing on the back panel illustrates that he/she is connecting black to left and right to red consistently. I'm not sure what "braided" means, however. I'm not familiar with stereo or 2.1 setups that require a separate feed. I'm also not sure why it appears that he/she is connecting to one pair of speaker connections as an input. That certainly won't work.

I agree that the terminology is confusing. When darwinsflinch says "line", I think he/she means "cord" or "cable", not necessarily a line-level input.

darwinsflinch, more information, please?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here