Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY solar panel for Mighty Mule gate opener

Posted by more_to_grow (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 16:08

I am looking for input, hopefully from someone with some electronics knowledge/expertise; I have very little.

I would like to hook a solar panel up to the battery on my mighty mule gate opener, rather than spend all the beans on the "mighty mule" panel. The output on my panel on a sunny day at noon time in NE CT two weeks ago was approximately 20V DC, which is right where the branded panel is purported to be.

My question is whether there are electronics built into their panel that prevent overloading or draining of the battery; or rather, should I try to build a simple circuit to do this and if so is there someone willing to help me design such a thing? I can assemble and solder this I am sure, just don't know how to design what I might need.

I can provide more specific information to anyone interested in helping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY solar panel for Mighty Mule gate opener

How many watts is the solar panel you have?

If the controller for the gate has solar marked terminals, you're most likely all set. Unless you have a huge solar panel putting out more watts than that controller is rated.

If no existing solar terminals you probably want to buy a solar battery charge controller and wire it up directly to the battery(s).

o

Mikie

Thanks for the link, that looks like what I need; provided there isn't already such a circuit within the unit, which is a question I am trying to answer.

o

I looked quickly at Mighty Mule site and quickly at a user manual on one unit.

Looks like their control panels may or may not include connections for solar - some do, some dont. And if your's does have solar connections they apparently are only rated for a solar panel, or group of panels, up to 30 watts max.

I didnt spend much time looking and the model I looked at may not be identical to yours, so take what I say with a grain of salt about those contacts until you look in your manual & control panel.

o

Hello,

Question: I have the Mighty Mule Dual Gate Opener (FM 402). I purchased this solar panel (http://www.amazon.com/Instapark%C2%AE-Black-Mono-crystalline-Charge-Controller/dp/B005LR9IOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384289004&sr=8-4&keywords=INSTAPARK+10W+SOLAR+PANEL) instead of the mighty mule solar panel. It comes with a charge controller. Do I need to hook up the charge controller of the instapark solar panel to the mighty mule control panel or is that redundant? Would I just connect the wires from the instapark solar panel directly into the two terminals of the mighty mule control panel? thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here