Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rileysmom17

was I ripped off?

rileysmom17
15 years ago

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry with a factory installed tuner/CD player. The car has the antenna "built in" to the rear window. Over the past year I have been getting gradually worsening static on several of my favorite radio stations. It can be episodic and I have never been able to figure out a pattern of sunny/cloudy/hot/cold/location to the times of better or worse reception. One closer city station is always loud and clear. Let me emphasize that previously I got fine reception on my favorite stations.

I took it in to a local car stereo place and the guy said that since my AM reception was fine the problem was the elderly tuner NOT with the antenna (I did specifically describe the symptoms and ask about the antenna). So, $498 later with a new Kenwood tuner with HD radio, I STILL have static. I called back and was told "well gee it is probably your antenna" and when I pitched a small fit was told "well maybe one of the towers for your favorite station went down" (if so it fell very slowly over the course of 12 months).

Does this sound like an antenna problem and if so, how can the AM reception be good but the FM poor? If it does turn out to be an antenna problem, am I within my rights to tell them to take the new stuff out of the car, put in my old tuner which I have at home, and refund me?

Comments (5)