Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyoung981

Sony 40' Tube KV-40XBR800

kyoung981
18 years ago

Purchased a floor model T.V. from Circuit City last Dec.,and am seeing half circles of color in the upper corner and side of tube. This occurs when watching the local channels or with a DVD/VHS. Anyone else have this product or problem? It has a 24/24/24 month warranty, but Circuit City says that Sony has to fix it, and with Sony there are no authorized Sony dealers in my area. Someone told me to check with Sears for possible repairs under warranty. Thanks, Keith

Comments (6)

• pee_wee
    18 years ago

The picture tube is magnatized. Probably from a close lightning strike or quick high pulse on the power line.

This can also be caused by 'non shielded speakers', when they are placed to close to the television. If this is the case, just move the speakers away from the tv and the color discoloration will clear.

If it's from a lightning pulse, then it will have to be degaussed. This problem happens quite often in my part of the country. I just "loan" the customer my degaussing coil and instruct them how to use it. In a half hour, they are back, thanking me for the help and saying their tv looks better than ever.

Check with your local tv shops and see if they will "loan" or "rent" you a degaussing coil.

Good luck,

pw

• kyoung981
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply Pee Wee, I talked to a Circuit City rep in Alabama and he told me that this set does indeed have unshielded speakers installed. That the floor demo that they had also had the same problem. He also said that the deqausser was undersized for this size set and that I would have problems in a few years. I finally found someone to work on this set under warranty.

• peanutforever
    17 years ago

I have a same TV with a shutdown problem, it will only work if you unplug it for over night, Blinks 6 time on the standby LED but it wont start, Please help thanks.

• benniek
    16 years ago

I too have a problem with turning the TV on and get 6, sometimes 7, Stanby LED flashes. Local Sony repair shop checked with Sony Support and found the problem to be the "D" card, whatever that is. The part is no longer in inventory and must be removed from your TV, sent to Sony for repair, returned and re-installed into you TV. Two week turn-around and cost $708.00! I'm buying a new set unless I can find a defunk 40XBR800 someplace.

• benniek
    16 years ago

I replaced IC65001 with an MCZ3001DB after installing an 18Pin socket and the TV turned on normally for four days. The set was turned off using the switch on the TV bezel but would not turn on again. The usual 6-7 blinks of the Standby LED was again present. I inserted another MCZ3001DB without success. I conclude something on the "D" card is causing the IC failure. I don't know what. I did not replace IC8002.

• cugur
    16 years ago

I own a Sony 40' KV-40XBR800 TV. After giving 6 LED flashes stopped turning on last May. Sony authorized service took the D board to rebuild it for $700. Turned out to be the tube. So I have a dead tube with a brand new D Board. I am selling the D board for $500. Let me know if interested.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz