Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
VCR autoscan no signal

Posted by boothbay (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 12:23

I just bought a 24'' insignia tv for my bedroom. I also had my VHS recorder ( yes I still have one and its just fine ) which was hooked up to the old analog TV. The TV has only one Ant input. The VCR is hooked up to it via rca cables...no component or HDMI. My VCR has to use the RCA cables. In this setup, I am able to see my tape on Chnl 3. I now wanted to set it up to record channels when necessary. I thought I would reassign the auto channel search mode for the vcr. It went through its scanning and after about a minute or so, it came back and said "Completed", but just below it said "No signal". .."No signal". In the interim with the indoor antenna disconnected all this time, I was surprised that I could see all my TV channels without the benefit of the indoor antenna. My vcr remote shows channels changing on the display site of the vcr,. Any suggestions how I can the signal to the vcr via auto scan? I connected the ANT to the VCR RF in and the VCR RF out to the TV ANT IN. I suspect that the Digital TV is preventing the signal. Is there a way to get around this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: VCR autoscan no signal

The problem is (probably) that the VCR is designed to receive ANALOG TV signals, whereas all the signals are digital now. You would need a converter box between the incoming cable/antenna line and the VCR. To get digital channels directly on the TV you could use a splitter and run one leg to the converter box then to the VCR, and the other leg to the TV (bypassing the converter). If the TV only has one antenna input, you would need another splitter or antenna switch in front of the TV antenna input.

o
RE: VCR autoscan no signal

Thanks,...your right...fortunately I had an unused converter hanging around ( i got rid of the analog TV ) and set it up and it works now. The only thing I don't like is that i have to leave the converter set on, if I want to make a time recording. Do you know it there is an easier setup? Apparently, I do not need a splitter. ..not yet anyway. Ant input to ant in of conv. Conv out to input of vcr, output of vcr to TV. I have to make sure to leave the TV on the AV mode, otherwise no video.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here