Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
confused...do I really need a dvd recorder

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 4, 06 at 9:33

First I was buying a cheapie ($89 cyberhome or something). I want to convert 30 or so VHS to DVD. I did not want to spend a lot on a Panasonic or something because I thought I might wear it out. Well, folks here seam to think that should not be a concern. So, there is a $150 panny out there that people seem to like. Now I am thinking, after I burn my 30 VHSs, what will do with the thing? Burn some camcorder DVD a few times a year? I am back to thinking the cheapie is the way to go...unless I use the thing as a VCR replacement for the 5 or 6 shows I record weekly. Does anyone consistently use their DVD recorder like I use my VHS; to record 5 or so shows a week? Again, is this what the thing was designed for or is it too much wear and tear. Obviously I'd need a rewritable DVD to record and re-record shows on. How long do those last?

Now, in a world where I was a bit wealthier I guess the real solution is a hard rive or better yet a DVD recorder with a hard drive. I am not in that world though! Advice please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: confused...do I really need a dvd recorder

I bought an Ilo brand about a year ago.
I tried using it as a VCR. Worked great at first.
Then I started getting bad DVD RW disks with it.
It still records DVD R just fine. Just not RW.

If you only have 30 or so VHS movies,
DVD R would work just fine for that.
Go rent a recorder from Rent-A-Center or some place.
If these are commercial video tapes they won't record.
But home made VHS tapes will record just fine.

I just got a Tivo box. Free with a one year commitment. $12.95/month.
And I can transfer recordings to my computer.
Not sure, but a Tivo box should take a VCR input.

I suggest renting a DVD recorder for a week or a month
and see if you like the results you get.

Hope this helped some.

Pooh Bear

o
RE: confused...do I really need a dvd recorder

One other option is that there are people out there who specialize in transferring video from tape to DVD. If you live in a very small town, there might not be anyone local, so you might have to visit a larger town or mail away your tapes. But it can be done.

You might want to find out the costs of doing that vs. buying even a cheap DVD-R and spending your time transferring the videos. If they are not just straight transfers, though (that is, you don't want to rearrange or cut parts out), it may be easier to do yourself than to show someone else how do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here