Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firewire???

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 21, 08 at 8:27

I just ordered a Sony Handycam Mini DV camcorder. I am confused on how to get the video to a DVD for storage. I know (correct me if I am wrong)that I can view my recorded video from the camera to a TV.

I also know I need a firewire cable to copy my recordings to my laptop. Question is -- does a firewire cable plug into a USB port or is there a special card my PC must have?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firewire???

FireWire is different than USB.

Some DeskTops / Laptops have FireWire ports.

Some Laptops can have a FireWire card added.

o

You also need software to operate the FireWire port, to capture the video output from the camera. Software was not included with my camera, but I found several freeware/shareware programs that work nicely. When the software is installed, it will recognize the FireWire port and attached camera. In my case, I simply turn the camera on with it connected to the computer, and the capture software operates the camera in playback mode (with controls for play, pause, forward and reverse scan) to pull the video into the computer as a file, saved in a choice of formats. The file can then be processed through video editing software and burned to a CD or DVD. FireWire can also record a video signal back TO the camera/tape.

o

Ok - although my laptop is only one year old, it does not appear that I have a firewire port -- only three USB ports.

Oh well, I guess I will taking my mini DV's to Ritz Camera.

o

Most Computer DVD players (Laptop & Desktop) can play mini DVD's.
There's a small circular section in the DVD tray that holds them.

You should be able to just transfer them to disk and/or eventually a full-sized DVD.

o

MiniDV is a tape format, not DVD.

If your laptop has a standard PCI expansion port, you can surely add a FireWire card to it. There may also be FireWire on PC(MCIA) card.

If not ... well, limited expandability has always been a strike against laptops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here