Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Universal Remote'.........Liars!

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 22:18

Hi,
I got a Panasonic VCR. The remote says "universal". But in the instructions, I find out that if it isn't one of the 10 TVs listed.....it won't work for turning the TV on and off. GRRRrrrrr. Plus.....the volume doesn't work on it either.
Fortunately, the remote on my old Panasonic VCR DOES work it. How can they say Universal, when it's not? I have a Phillips TV, and it seems like it should be included. Why do they do that? Is it normal for the volume not to work while viewing a recorded tape, for the same reason that the remote doesn't turn the TV on and off? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Universal Remote'.........Liars!

Did the remote come with the TV? Don`t understand why it would be labeled Univesal if so.
Usually.a Universal has to be "coded" in.(which requires
a High tech or teenager to do, LOL).

o

Hi smoker,
The remote came with the VCR machine. In the instructions for the VCR, it tells you how to code the remote in......but then proceeds to say that if it doesn't match the TVs listed, then it won't work with them. I guess it should be advertised as "half-universal"!
LOL about the "high tech or a teenager"! I have a teenager, but he was too busy playing his drums to help!

o

I`m assuming the VCR is not a new one,thus,somewhere or someone "lost" the original remote.
You can "GOOGLE" the VCRs` brand for the right code or generally look up "remote codes".
What is the model no.? (on the back)

o

No, the VCR is brand new, and it came with a remote that said "universal". However, once I got into the instructions as to how to code it to match the TV, it said that my Phillips TV wasn't one of the ones that could interact with the TV (to turn it on and off and control volume). Actually, an old VCR remote I have works to control both machines (TV and VCR), but it lacks some of the nicer functions of the new VCR remote.

o

Phillips and Magnavox are basically the same company.Try the Mag. codes.

o

I've tried them all and none of them work. But I'll keep trying. Who knows....maybe there's some button I'm not pressing, when I should be.

o
Maganvox not included in their club.

P.S.
I just checked again, and Magnavox isn't even listed as one of the brands that can be coded. Sounds pretty silly to me. I think that these machines should actually say on the outside of the box, which TVs their remotes work with.

o

IME, "universal" is not, really. I've had two or three for my various electronics, and they all don't do something I want them to. The (Sony "universal") remote won't set the Sleep function on my (Sony) TV. The Philips remote wouldn't work on my Pioneer DVD player despite listing Pioneer as a DVD choice. Another remote works on the DVD player -- except for being able to switch it on and off (!). So I end up with all the remotes around anyway.

o

I guess all those remotes and different machines keeps our minds lubricated! (hahaha.....or they keep us without being able to watch anything!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here