Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

'Universal Remote'.........Liars!

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi,

I got a Panasonic VCR. The remote says "universal". But in the instructions, I find out that if it isn't one of the 10 TVs listed.....it won't work for turning the TV on and off. GRRRrrrrr. Plus.....the volume doesn't work on it either.

Fortunately, the remote on my old Panasonic VCR DOES work it. How can they say Universal, when it's not? I have a Phillips TV, and it seems like it should be included. Why do they do that? Is it normal for the volume not to work while viewing a recorded tape, for the same reason that the remote doesn't turn the TV on and off? Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

• smoker
    17 years ago

Did the remote come with the TV? Don`t understand why it would be labeled Univesal if so.
    Usually.a Universal has to be "coded" in.(which requires
    a High tech or teenager to do, LOL).

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi smoker,
    The remote came with the VCR machine. In the instructions for the VCR, it tells you how to code the remote in......but then proceeds to say that if it doesn't match the TVs listed, then it won't work with them. I guess it should be advertised as "half-universal"!
    LOL about the "high tech or a teenager"! I have a teenager, but he was too busy playing his drums to help!

• smoker
    17 years ago

I`m assuming the VCR is not a new one,thus,somewhere or someone "lost" the original remote.
    You can "GOOGLE" the VCRs` brand for the right code or generally look up "remote codes".
    What is the model no.? (on the back)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, the VCR is brand new, and it came with a remote that said "universal". However, once I got into the instructions as to how to code it to match the TV, it said that my Phillips TV wasn't one of the ones that could interact with the TV (to turn it on and off and control volume). Actually, an old VCR remote I have works to control both machines (TV and VCR), but it lacks some of the nicer functions of the new VCR remote.

• smoker
    17 years ago

Phillips and Magnavox are basically the same company.Try the Mag. codes.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've tried them all and none of them work. But I'll keep trying. Who knows....maybe there's some button I'm not pressing, when I should be.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

P.S.
    I just checked again, and Magnavox isn't even listed as one of the brands that can be coded. Sounds pretty silly to me. I think that these machines should actually say on the outside of the box, which TVs their remotes work with.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

IME, "universal" is not, really. I've had two or three for my various electronics, and they all don't do something I want them to. The (Sony "universal") remote won't set the Sleep function on my (Sony) TV. The Philips remote wouldn't work on my Pioneer DVD player despite listing Pioneer as a DVD choice. Another remote works on the DVD player -- except for being able to switch it on and off (!). So I end up with all the remotes around anyway.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess all those remotes and different machines keeps our minds lubricated! (hahaha.....or they keep us without being able to watch anything!)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor