Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharp 55R-WP$H shuts off after few minutes

Posted by ulbhpy (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 10, 06 at 21:00

Hello there, Hope you can help me solve this problem.
I have a Shaarp 55R-WP4H Rear project TV (made in Apr 2002), used for about 4 years. This August it all of a sudden shut off while watching and view timer LED started blinking twice with on inbetween. TV had to be unplugged as no switches worked. After some cooling TV powers on but shuts off after few minutes (5-30 minutes). Based on other posts here, I checked out solder, but could not find anything wrong. No components appear burned out. I am not getting a quote from local TV repair persons due to nature of this problem. I have heard it could be hundreds of $. I want to give it a try before I dump it.

Please advise. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharp 55R-WP4H shuts off after few minutes

Typo in title. It is 55R-WP4H.

o
RE: Sharp 55R-WP$H shuts off after few minutes

It's fixed. TV worked without turning off for 2 days and then it would starting turning off in less than couple of minutes. Earlier this week it did not turn on at all.

I took the chasis out and tested various components without much luck in detecting any bad components. I paid more attention to checking cracked solders in areas I had not focused before and found cracked solder under flyback. Fixed it and TV seems to be working OK. Touch Wood & keeping my fingers crossed. I must thank Pee-Wee for his comments in this forum that helped me fix my problem.

o

Glad to hear that worked out OK.

Pee Wee is the man. Sometimes he doesn't even realize it.

o

I have the same exact TV with the same problem. Can you let me know if your fix has held as a full month has now passed? Any relapses?
If the TV has been OK ever since, can you provide specific info as to exatly where you found the bad solder? What exatly do you mean by "under flyback"?
Thanks joe.anderson@charter.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here