Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob411

Pitch or Repair Panasonic Projection TV

bob411
16 years ago

My 4 year old 53" Panasonic projection TV is dead. I have sound, but no picture, Just faint a band of red, blue, and green squiggly lines in the middle. I called Panasonic, they said it's a strong possibility that it's my video board, but I couldn't get a ball park, stab in the dark, just a guess at how much it will cost to fix it. Any body have a very rough idea of how much this will cost, so I can decide to fix it, or just get a new TV?

Thanks

Bob

Comments (10)

• jdbillp
    16 years ago

Most tv repair shops will check the tv and give you an estimate for $75-$125.

• bob411
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you. Just trying to not spend that, if it's not worth fixing, rather put that money towards a new one. Also we live 35 miles from nearest TV repair place, so I'm going to have to bring this beast to them.

Bob

• jehiatt
    16 years ago

It would be nice to know your outcome and costs if you did have it repaired. Most tv shop charge big bucks to repair one of these. Like $150-350. It not the parts costs but the amount of time needed to locate the problem. And before you take it to antone you find out if they have experience on projection TV repairs or you will be paying for their training. It would also be nice to know the outcome of a lot of these posts.

• bob411
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry for not checking back in to let you know the outcome. All the stars aligned, and I had my van home, on a day I could get someone to help me load it, and the TV repair guy was open. The cost to fix it was $200.00

Why am I checking in now? It's broke again. This time it's the convergence. I did a search on this forum, and It sounds like it needs a convergence chip. Thinking about trying to replace it myself.

I have to say I am really disappointed in Panasonic. Up until 5 or 10 years ago I bought everything Sony, then they decided to make garbage, so I went to Panasonic. Guess it's time to find a new go to company. Any suggestions?

I promise I'll let you know whatever I decide to do.

• bob411
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just to update you. Everyone has had the flu here, finally took the back off, and ordered two stk392-110 ICs for about $84.00. I'll let you know when they arrive, and when I get the time to change them out.

• cybergregg
    16 years ago

If you can, please describe what the shop did. I have a similar Panasonic TV with the exact same symptom, and absolutely no way to transport the thing.

• matt_r
    16 years ago

There was an article in consumers on when it pays versus does not pay to make repairs. In general, and very unfortunately, we are a disposable society. Something breaks and you throw it out. In days of past, you would have always repaired your TV or lawnmower, it would never have been even a question in your mind. And the price to do it would have been reasonable.

• bob411
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The ICs are still sitting on my fireplace mantle, so I haven't played with it yet.

Firt time it broke I think I remember that the shop replace a capacitor.

• cybergregg
    16 years ago

Thanks Bob,
    That gives me a place to start. I swapped out the amp chips this morning, it took about 45 minutes. Nothing changed, I kinda didn't think they were the problem, but I got the chips so cheap, it was worth a try.

• geb4001_gmail_com
    12 years ago

my panasonic projection television model Tx-43p950x, when i turn on the tv it shut down it self