Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Password fingerprint thingy

Posted by sanantoniorose (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 19:57

I heard the "Q" advertised on Michael Medved's radio prog and wondered if anyone has bought one? Or any brand for that matter. I really hate digging up my passwords for each and everything & this thing is supposed to associate you fingerprint with the site and automatically "sign in", some kind of biometric thingy I suppose. Someone tell me if they work and what brand would you suggest and where to buy one. Thanks.
S.A.Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Password fingerprint thingy

I have a fingerprint reader on my Windows laptop. It works well enough. Since it's built in to the machine, I can't specify a brand (it's an HP laptop, FWIW). If you're interested in one, I'd make sure I bought it somewhere with return privileges if it proves too hard to use successfully in daily use.

o

Steve -

Is your fingerprint reader actually on your laptop keyboard or is it a seperate piece of hardware like a mouse? Do you store all your passwords on it? You didn't say whether or not you like it much. It seems like such a good idea, I don't understand why it's not used more. I write down all my passwords in a little book which is so annoying - it's never where I want it when I need it. Thanks for your help.

o

The fingerprint reader is on my laptop keyboard. I used it for a little while, but there was a problem with the way the fingerprint-reader software interacted with the way my company sets up passwords. The short of it is that the fingerprint reader would work until my password at work expired, and then it wouldn't work and I wouldn't be able to get it working again. Or something like that. I didn't need to invite that kind of trouble. :-)

But I don't think that's a problem of the fingerprint reader, and I don't think that's the kind of problem that home users would likely encounter. Keep in mind that the fingerprint reader won't necessarily supply the password you need to supply for things like financial Web sites or even sites like this one, so you'll still end up typing some passwords (unless your Web browser is told to remember them). You'll still need to keep track of some passwords.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here