Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuffs054

Wiring a new Uverse jack

cuffs054
9 years ago

I want to move confuser to new location. It's easy to see what wires (two) are coming from outside box to Cat 5 jack that ATT installed. The problem is the current ATT jack appears to use "numbers and new color code". The new purchased jack has 8 connections all color coded but NOT numbered. So if I run a new pair of wires to new location I can't figure out which of the 8 connectors I need to use on the new (Cat 5 ) jack to match the male plug on the jack to modem cord? All help would be great.

Comments (2)

• BigDockDog
    9 years ago

Cuffs,

If you are talking about the output of the router that goes to he ethernet card of your computer, you need to use cat 5 (or better) cable. Ethernet uses really only 4 wires of the 8 (pins 1,2,3 and 6).You can google 'Cat 5 pinout' and you will see what wires go to what pins. You will need to buy a crimper. The trick is the green/white and solid green wire. Normally it goes as follows starting with pin 1:
    Orange/White
    Orange
    Green/White
    Blue
    Blue/white
    Green
    Brown/white
    Brown
    Pin 1 starts at the left of the connector as you look at the connector with the tab down. Although it doesn't matter as long as you do both connectors the same.

The important thing is that pins 1 and 2 are the twisted pair and 3 and 6 are the twisted pair. And the there has to be so many twists per foot to achieve maximum bandwidth.

Or you could buy a USB wifi dongle and connect your 'confuser' wirelessly.

• cuffs054
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Big, thanks for the info. I finally gave up and had ATT come do it.