Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to look for in home theater system?

Posted by libbyliz (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 18:54

I'm considering buying a home theater system, what should be looked for in such?

I want AM/FM stereo for sure. Right now I don't think it matters if it plays 1 or 5 DVDs/CDs. I think speakers that don't have wires hanging all over the place would be great.

That's about all I've been able to come up with so far since I'm totally ignorant about this subject.

Many thanks in advance for whatever help I get!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to look for in home theater system?

Modern HT systems support DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 or 7.1 audio. These systems want a center dialog speaker by the TV, two rear speakers, two front speaker, two (optional side speakers) and a low frequency (the point 1 part in 5.1) speaker. Your DVD player, cable box or satellite receiver need to have a coaxial digital or optical digital output that you run into your receiver. Your HT receiver will support these inputs as well as the built in DTS or DD decoder. Make sure you get good speakers. Running wires really can't be avoided. Most local home theater stores have pros that will run the wires, if you're not up to it. The audio from a well done HT system is amazing.

o

Okay, everything you wrote is Greek to me! I'll try to keep up & understand.

We have an older TV that needs a "splitter" box to connect all the new-fangled equipment, to & from it, so the HT system, etc., would have to plug into that.

The system we have now hubby bought at an estate auction & it's missing the AM/FM antenna that can't be purchased anywhere. I contacted Sony, looked at Radio Shack... So I can't listen to stereo. It's missing a bunch of brackets to mount the speakers on the walls & I tried locating them as well. And not too long ago it started not giving us any sound when we try playing a DVD. I haven't tried a CD.

o

Time to "cut and run."

Sounds like you need to start from scratch. You could start looking at the consumer electronics stores like Circuit City or whatever you have in your neck of the woods. Figure out what fits your budget and needs and spend some time playing with it in the store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here