Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV set doesn't have composite input, can i add my own?

Posted by TheObskure (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 05 at 18:49

Greetings!

This is probably a long shot but I'll give it a go.

I recently acquired a Magnavox color television model #19PR14 C121, chassis #19P601-00AA, this particular model only has one input and it's coaxial.. is it possible to put a composite input into it? I mean, is there a particular IC where I can tap leads off of and connect them to rca input jacks so that I can plug home entertainment components in the set? Sorry if this is worded wrong and phrased screwy...I've also acquired a wicked cold and am feeling a bit out of it.

thanks guys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV set doesn't have composite input, can i add my own?

Yep, I do this with my DVD player.
You need an RF Modulator.
I paid about $18 for mine.

It converts the RCA cables to coax output.
Easy, easy, easy.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: RF Modulator at Walmart

o

Heh, thanks...I can't believe that I didn't think of that...I'll have to go pick one up!

o

That's the right answer as to what you need...But your TV does have a composite input. FYI, that's what the coax is.....

o

So what are the RCA phono cables/jacks called.
I know they are composite cables, but what should I call them.

I would like to see the names for the various types of cables/jacks
so I will know what to call them when I post about them.

Pooh Bear

o

RCA jacks are called RCA jacks.
But normally RCA and composite are used interchangably. Technically the coax cable does carry a composite signal, but a person would only point that out to be annoying - everyone would know what you mean. Here is a quick list:

coax/cable
RCA/composite (yellow is for video, red & white are audio)
S-video
Component Video (also uses RCA jacks/cables, but uses all three for video)

Then there are HDMI and DVI if you are really high end

o

Yeah..see, I was wondering if there were places on the circuit board of the television where i could attach RCA inputs , but I don't know enough about how the thing works to figure out where i would attach them...

Thanks

o

The bigger question is why you would bother plugging "home entertainment components" into a set that doesn't have those inputs.

The quality has to be in the ol' crapper on that thing! Save your $18 and put it towards a brand new $100 TV that has an SVideo input!

o

Well, I realise that the signal would be subpar, but it doesn't really matter much to me. I got the set for free, and saw that it didn't have RCA inputs...which wouldn't have been a problem but for that I had intended to plug my old game systems into it (via a switchbox), i'd meant for it to only have the N64,Dreamcast and SNES plugged into it. Plus, I'm naturally curious and wanted to know if it could be done (wiring my own RCA inputs directly onto the board of the tv set).

So, there you have it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here