Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FYI-Expensive electronics theft alert-Canada

Posted by dreamgarden (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 18:40

What will thieves think of next......

Thieves target computer buyers
By: Louie Rosella-THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS-Ontario

August 27, 2007 - Police are warning computer and gadget buffs in Mississauga to be on alert following a recent series of thefts that occur when consumers make purchases at electronics stores across the GTA.

Police forces across the GTA say criminals are targeting customers who purchase "big-ticket" electronic items such as laptops and LCD cameras and subsequently break into their vehicles to steal the items later that day.

Between Jan. 25 and Aug. 19, York Regional Police alone received reports of 17 such thefts that occurred near electronics stores.

In these incidents, the thieves observe the customers who have made large purchases as they leave the store and place the items in their vehicles. In most cases, police said, the thieves follow the customer to their next stop, usually another store, break into their vehicle and steal the item.

Police want to remind residents of ways to protect yourself against these types of thefts:

Always be aware of your surroundings. Be mindful of persons loitering or acting suspiciously.

If you suspect you are being followed, go to the nearest well-lit public place, populated area or nearest police station.

Yell, if necessary, to attract attention and call police immediately.

Always have your keys or remote ready to unlock you vehicle. Dont spend time fumbling for them.

Report suspicious people and vehicles to police.

Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FYI-Expensive electronics theft alert-Canada

Thanks for the info. Here's a tip. I know most people already know this but don't ever place the box that your new large screen HD monitor/TV or other appliance came in at the curb for garbage. Break it up and conceal it. There's nothing like advertising to would be thieves that you just bought a nice new appliance.

o

Good idea about breaking up the box your expensive equipment came in.

That's just one more reason why I carry my $$$ laptop in a worn out back pack, instead of the newer computer cases they sell at CompUSA, Wal-mart etc.

o

That's just one more reason why I carry my $$$ laptop in a worn out back pack

Ditto. I sure didn't want a Targus or Porto or something else that screamed, "Laptop here!!" I also dumped the "mug me" white earbuds for my iPod in favor of some great-sounding but non-descript headphones. The iPod stays out of sight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here