Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about transferring tapes to DVDs

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi all,

I recently got a sony DVD recorder/VCR. The instruction booklet is about 130 pages long!!! And I'm not great at reading comprehension.

Okay.....today I got brave and tried to transfer a movie on VHS that I had taped, onto a DVD. I have DVD-R tapes.......since they are ultimately to transfer home movies. But I'm thinking until I get this all worked out, I should use DVD-RW's......don't you agree?

Okay.......so I thought I programmed the DVD recorder to record in the "ESP" mode.....which means 180 minutes. The movie was 3 hours long.

Well, it only taped for 2hours. When I press the Display, it shows that it was in the SP mode (2 hours).

Is the problem that the disc I used CAN'T hold more than 120 minutes? ....or did I maybe not program it right to go for 3 hours? Any help is appreciated!

Also.....I'm supposed to be able to press the "Display" button several times, to get more info, like how much time has elapsed and how much disc is left, etc., but when I press it a second time, the display goes away. Any ideas why that is happening?

Also......nothing happens when I press "menu"......so I'm not able to go to various parts of the movie, without just Fastforwarding to it......which takes forever.

I know these machines vary and are complicated, so I apologize if I haven't given enough info.

Comments (2)