Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radioguy_gw

hooking up dvd with direct tv and vcr's

RadioGuy
18 years ago

Need help with this one.

I just bought a new DVD and want to hook it up to my already in place system. I have a satellite dish connected to three VCR's and I use a switcher for moving from one VCR to the other. I tried putting the DVD in line with the VCR's and figured it would be a simple installation. Not so, the DVD does not have a way to get the signal from the satellite in to it.

The VCR's have input and output jacks which makes it simple to connect them in series. How do I get this DVD into the string?

Comments (26)

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

I had the same problem when we got a DVD player.
    Had to hook it up seperate.

I use RCA Phono cables to connect the Dish Network DVR to my VCR.
    Then use more of the same cables to connect VCR to TV.
    Then use more of the same cables and connect DVD player
    to an RF Modulator box. Then connect the coaxial output
    from the RFM box to the coaxial input of the TV.
    Now I just the TV/Video button on the TV to switch
    between the DVR/VCR and DVD player.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1514716}}

• joed
    18 years ago

Does one of your VCR have more than one input jack set? Many of them have two sets, video 1 and video 2. Use the second set of jacks for the DVD.

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, after trying to incorporate this DVD into my system I invariable screwed up some of the cabling that was already in place, so I spent the better part of a day getting it back to the way it was before I started this project.
    Actually this should be a simple operation as all I have is 3 VCR's, and now the DVD, that will go inline controlled by a simple switcher. The signal is from a Satellite. (DirectTV) This is all viewed by the TV.

My question is: why didn't they just put an output jack on this DVD like they do all units of this nature so it would be simple to move the incoming signal to the next machine?
    Anyway, here is my next plan of attack. I thought I would use a splitter on the incoming signal sending one lead to the DVD input jack and the other to my VCR #1 input jack that is next in line. Then take the output of VCR #1 to the input of VCR #2 and so on, tying them all together. I thought I would ask this before I attempt the task as I think I will take a few days off to recuperate. My fingers are blooding from screwing and unscrewing those damn video cables which is a whole new subject for discussion at another time.

• joed
    18 years ago

Are you using any of the rca jack or only the antenna connections?
    How many inputs does your TV have?
    How many do the VCRs have?
    I try not to use the antenna/COAX connection for anything other than actual antenna.

• lmychajluk
    18 years ago

" the DVD does not have a way to get the signal from the satellite in to it"
    & "My question is: why didn't they just put an output jack on this DVD like they do all units of this nature so it would be simple to move the incoming signal to the next machine?"

I think you meant 'input' jack, and the reason behind it is that most DVD Players (not DVD Recorders) have no reason to have a signal Input to it. It simply plays the DVD.

"Then use more of the same cables and connect DVD player
    to an RF Modulator box. Then connect the coaxial output
    from the RFM box to the coaxial input of the TV."

This method, though it would work, is very detrimental to the picture quality. In order of best to worst cable to use, you want to use a digital cable (DVI / HDMI / Firewire), Component (Red/Green/Blue RCA cables), S-Video, RCA (Single Yellow), and then RF/COAX. You also want to go direct to the TV whenever possible, so next time you buy a TV, look at the inputs that are available.

"Use the second set of jacks for the DVD."

Connecting the DVD player through the VCR would usually trigger the Macrovision copy-protection built into all DVD players, and you'll most likely be looking at a picture that looks as if the brightness is being constantly futzed with.

In answer to RadioGuy's original question, does the switchbox that has the 3 VCRs connected to it have a 4th position? That's where you want to connect the DVD player to. Then you can switch between the 3 VCRs and the DVD player.

Hope this helps...

-Lee

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

You could eliminate the RF Modulator in my setup above
    by using a simple A-B switch box.
    This would preserve signal quality.

Pooh Bear

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In answer to RadioGuy's original question, does the switchbox that has the 3 VCRs connected to it have a 4th position? That's where you want to connect the DVD player to. Then you can switch between the 3 VCRs and the DVD player.
    Lee, PoohBear, and all.
    Actually what I'm doing is replacing one of 4 VCR's with this DVD (RCA DCR80005N) as my video switcher does have four positions. What I can't understand is why only an input to the DVD and no output to send the signal to the next VCR. I understand that most DVD recorders have both the Input and output jacks for this signal. Any ideas why did RCA did it this way or is this a odd ball model. The price was $300.00. A friend has a Go Video and it comes with both input and output jacks. What I need to accomplish is being able to record from DirectTV into the DVD or from a camcorder as well, and into all the VCRs. I do this now with the VCR's as well as edit. All I'm trying to do is replace a VCR with a DVD. The DVD is to be the first machine in the string. I guess if push comes to shove I will just have to use this as a stand alone unit which I really don't want to do. I should have bought a DVD's with both in and out jacks. I figured for $300.00 this unit would not be a challenge in just getting it hooked up.

In describing the back panel of the DVD it has:

A. RF Antenna/Cable input.
    B. Video/Audio input.
    C. Video/Audio output
    D S-Video input.
    E. S-Vido output.
    F. Component Video output. (Y,Pb.Pr)
    G. Digital Audio out. (coaxial and optical).
    H. Prog. Scan (on/off)
    Thanks for your patience........RG

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

Does this look like the back of your DVD player?

{{gwi:1514717}}

I downloaded the manual for the player at the link below.
    Is that your DVD player?

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: RCA DRC8005N

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bear,
    Yes, that is my machine. As you can see there is only the input and no output for the program signal. On page 10 in the RCA manual is the satellite setup and it shows no provisions for going into another component such as a VCR. Also when using a satellite dish they don't show the use of that input at all.
    The setup shown in my satellite users guide shows a schematic for a VCR connection and it directs the signal from the satellite receiver to the VCR input jack and then from the output of the VCR to the TV which is a normal procedure. It shows no connection diagrams for a DVD.
    The way it looks to me is they are running the satellite signal directly from the satellite receiver to the TV and only the audio and video is going through the DVD recorder. Very confusing to me at this point. RG.

• lmychajluk
    18 years ago

Argh... I hate this forum software... I lost a whole long post because I was on the 'Preview' when I thought I posted...

Anyway...I originally posted this morning that what you were looking for was a 'passthrough' on the Coax cable. The passthrough would allow the device to tune one channel on the coax while passing the unaltered signal. This isn't a very common thing to have these days.

Any device that needs to use it's own internal tuner (TV, VCR, DVD-R, Satellite box) should each have a Coax cable going into it. You may want to split the Coax cable where you now have the switch. Then each device could go to a switch using RCA or S-Video cables, and the switch in turn goes to the TV.

So (the satelite dish has a box, right?):

SATDishBox via Coax > 4-way Coax Splitter

4-way Coax Splitter via Coax > VCR1
    4-way Coax Splitter via Coax > VCR2
    4-way Coax Splitter via Coax > VCR3
    4-way Coax Splitter via Coax > DVDR

VCR1 via S-Video or RCA cable > switchbox
    VCR2 via S-Video or RCA cable > switchbox
    VCR3 via S-Video or RCA cable > switchbox
    DVDR via S-Video or RCA cable > switchbox

Switchbox via S-video or RCA > TV

With this setup, you should be able to record on all 3 VCRs and the DVD at the same time. The switchbox would be used to determine what is being displayed on the TV.

Do you need to dub VCR tapes? If so, the setup would be a little different. Let us know.

• joed
    18 years ago

What would the purpose of coax input be on a DVD if it doesn't have coax output? The DVD dosen't have a tuner and if you don't pass the signal though to the TV why would you have it? I can see why you are confused.

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

That is a very confusing manual.
    You can download it at the link below.
    (go to the link, click the Free button).

Are you trying to hook up the VCRs in series or parallel.
    I'm not clear on this setup.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Obviously , the problem is with the DVD Recorder. The 4 VCRs, the 4 position switcher, and the TV have worked very nicely for the past several years. I can tape from the dish, I can feed in video and audio from a camcorder, I can edit back and forth with the VCR's, I can dub from one VCR to the Others. Now when I just want to replace the first VCR in the string with the DVD recorder/player, it aint working. So what do I do. sell the damn RCA DVD recorder and go buy one with an input and an output, or just buy another VCR and forget that DVD's exist. I never gave it a second thought when I bought the DVD that it would not have a feature as simple as an output for sending the incoming signal to the other VCR's.............

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

It looks like to me that you have a choice of
    Video Input = Coax, phono, or S-video.
    Video Output = phono, s-video, or component video.

I would try inputting video in one of those formats,
    and then seeing which format comes out.
    I am thinking that it doesn't have to be the same in/out.
    Meaning you can input coax and output s-video.
    Of course the video quality would still be at coax.
    But at least it would all hookup.
    I would at least use phono cable for hook ups anywhere I could.

I'm still not sure whether you want to hook it all up series or parallel.
    Can't see any benefit to hooking up more than two VCRs in series.

Pooh Bear

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bear,

I'm just putting this unit in series with the VCR's. I have tried the S-video and it does not carry the satellite signal to the VCR. Do you think this machine was designed to just be a stand alone unit and not intended to be tied in with other components. I have been searching all over the Internet for info and nobody has addressed that feature or lack there of.

I use the four VCR's for dubbing and also for recording off the satellite. Works great and the signal is not depleted. The machine I'm trying to replace is an old Sony Video-8 that I used for inputting my Camcorder tapes. That way I did not have to use the camera as a play back machine. I wanted to save the camera heads from overuse. Now the Video 8 recorder is worn out and I can't find replacement parts so I intended to use the DVD in its place. That's when the Problems started.

The way I'm set up now is that the Satellite signal enters into the coax input of the Sony 8 and the output coax of the Sony goes into the input coax of the VCR. That completes the Satellite signal. Then I take the audio/video out from the Sony and that goes to the A/V inputs of the VCR. The rest of the VCR's are set up in line that same way. These are tied into a video switcher for selecting each machine. This procedure has worked great for a long time.

Is it possible that because the DVD does not have a coax satellite output that I may not be able to hook the DVD in the system and that I would only be able to use it for dubbing from the camcorder into the DVD and then moving the audio/Video from DVD to the other VCRs through the A/V input and output or s-video cables from the DVD. The DVD has front audio/video inputs. I hope I'm making sense here. One thing for sure is the manual sucks. That fact seems to be a common comment I have been hearing from other owners.

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

I can't see it being a stand alone unit since it has video inputs and outputs.
    I think I would hook it up as the last device before the TV.
    Let it take whatever signal and pass it to the TV.
    Worth a try.

Pooh Bear

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I thought about putting it last in line, but I still don't have the out from that unit (DVD) to feed to the switcher. I wish I knew of a way to scan the schematic I have drawn of the setup I have and put it on this thread. One thought I did have that I may have mentioned before was to split the satellite signal that goes to the DVD's input jack and then run the other line from that spliter to the input on the switcher. The A/V cables would go from the DVD to the next VCR as normal. That probably won't work either.
    BTW, do most DVD recorders have an input and an output coax for the cable or satellite signal?

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bear and All,
    I have been checking around with some of the Video stores and they can't understand why this RCA has no RF coaxial output either. Costco has two machines, a Panasonic and a Go Video and they are equipped with both input and output jacks for cable, antenna, and satellite signals.
    So, come Monday the RCA goes back to it rightful place, the store I where I bought it and I will purchase one with the proper jacks. Both Costco models are DVD and VCR combos and you can record from DVD to VHS or vice-versa. I should have checked more closely when I bought this RCA, but being in the box and all taped up you don't figure it will be a problem in just setting it up. You can bet I will check the next time. Thanks for your time in helping me with this dilemma.........RG

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

UPDATE!!

I returned the RCA DVD this morning to its rightful place among the Emerson's and Sylvania's at the big box store. Went to Costco and picked up the Go-Video (VR3845) duel deck DVD/VCR unit, and wonders of wonders it has an RF input and an OUTPUT. Now I'm in business. I will hook it up tomorrow and see how it works and if I have made anymore errors in judgment. I shall return with the results....

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, this should be a wrap on this subject.
    The Go-Video machine from Costco (VR3845) is what I should have purchased in the first place. One must do research before leaping even if one comes across a, "can't pass up deal." The VR3845 is a duel deck that records on both DVD and VHS. A very nice machine at a great price. The moral of the story is that when buying these video type machines be sure and check to see that they have both input and output RF jacks to accommodate the TV signal and being able to pass that signal on to other components. Thanks for the help..............RG.

• Pooh Bear
    18 years ago

Why use the RF coax ports.
    You would get better signal quality with RCA composite cables.
    I didn't believe it till I switched. You can see the difference.
    You can especially see the difference with VHS tapes.

Pooh Bear

• RadioGuy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bear,
    I have older VCR machines and a switcher that accepts only RF and until I spend some money one of these days updating the present stuff I got to go with the RF. I have 4 JVC'S that still work great and as soon as they began to fail I will come into the 21st Century. Besides, if you could see the wiring mess behind my entertainment center you would not want to go near it either.

• kcalla
    18 years ago

Radioguy,
    Can your Go-video machine dub from a DVD to a VCR tape?

• ormahs
    17 years ago

I have enjoyed and printed all these comments.
    I have just purchased a Panasonic DVD/VCR recorder ( I will return with the model number I think it is model# dvds30)
    I have been trying to hook up the new recorder with our old RCA TV (this TV only has one spot for a coaxial cable which goes to the cable box.)The dvd player/ vcr recorder we have is connected to the cable box via the coaxial cable in from antenna and out to TV spot.

I can not figure how to get all 3 hooked up. I purchased S cables and a DVD cable and a philips spliter (one input and 4 outputs but I can not figure out the manual on how to do this.

I will write again with the descriptions of the back of the new dvd/vcr recorder and the dvd player/vcr recorder.
    I purchased this new machine to copy old vcr tapes on to DVD and to record DVD's. I am wondering if I should first get a more modern TV that will have more that one output source. We have direct TV via a cable box. Do you think anyone will be able to help me if I return with the specifics of the machines and the TV. I am looking for any help and advise
    thanks --this looks like a great forum for me as my knowledge is little (but I am learning!)
    ormahs

• nightingale888
    15 years ago

I need help. I bought a new 42 inch screen Magnavox HD TV set. We are a member of the Direct TV Satellite Cable Network. The dish is outside of the house with a coaxil cable entering the home to a black box that sits beside the TV. A coaxil cable leaves the black box to a Power Surge Protector Electrical strip. Another coaxil cable leaves this connection to the TV back input area. The TV channels, volume, etc are controlled by the handheld Dish Remote Control. The Magnovox TV remote is not used.
    I have a Symphonic DVD Player and the red, white, yellow wire set and its own remote control. I have an Emerson VCR with a coaxil connector wire and its own remote controller. I do not know where to connect the VCR coaxil wire to the TV. The TV set has overall, 3 sites for the colored wire connection ports. (1) an area on the left side near the back of the screen for the yellow,red,white connection, and 2 separate areas called line 1 and line 2 connections (but a double set of plugs of red, white and yellow colored ports in this assembly)which is very confusing. Which row do I use?
    Goal: I want to know how to connect the VCR and the DVD. They are to be used separately. Do I hook up these 2 separately at the varied colored port areas, and they run independently with their remotes? Do I connect to the black box? Do I run the DVD through the back out hook-up of colored ports to the colored inports at the VCR front area and connect to the TV via a coaxil somehow?....Is the black box involved or bypassed? Please keep the insructions simple. The 3 sets of appliance directions are too confusing. I am having trouble with each appliance and the individual directions are not helpful to me with the currently used Direct TV Dish system. Thank you in advance.

• tbecker1
    15 years ago

Hi,I am a brand new member with a similar problem. I have an older TV (the inputs are yellow, white,red and s-video. I need to connect to a DirectTV, a new DVD/VCR combo,and a receiver (Panasonic SA_HE70)I find this a daunting thing to do with my limited experience and hope that someone is able to help me. Thanks. Tom