Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Can someone help me choose between these two TV's

Lyban zone 4
10 years ago

Hi,

I am very TV challenged. I am still using an old 27 inch CRT sony model, mainly because every time I consider a new tv I am so overwhelmed and have no idea what I need or want.

I have now decided that I am going to buy one no matter what.
I have given myself a deadline of Sept 30th. so time is running out.

I know I do not want 3D

i DO WANT
probably a 50 inch range
LCD or LED
I think smart for the future because I do love computers
I like sports and movies
I do not know what else I have to tell you...
I am in Canada thus the higher prices

Here are two choices I am looking at, if someone could please look at the specs and give me an informed decision it would help me.

http://www.sharp.ca/en-CA/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LEDTV/LEDTVs/LC52LE640U.aspx

from big box store at 1177.77 plus tax

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN50F6300AFXZC-spec

from Costco: at 1492.49 plus tax

Thank you

Comments (10)

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Have you been to Costco and spent some time with their "TV Guy" to go over where your TV will be located, etc? I find most of them (the older guys especially) quite helpful in avoiding pitfalls and very customer friendly.
    The Samsung is obviously a great sports viewing TV. It is an LCD with 240 cycle LED backlight.
    One irritant that I find with LED is the white colour in scenes usually has a slight bluish or grey tinge to it.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laat2

I have been to costco but my guy here is really not that helpful.
    I was leaning towards the samsung but this models seems to get quite a few negative reviews so that had me worried.
    Now I do not know how much faith to put into online reviews.

• jimisham
    10 years ago

We have a Samsung LN52A850 LCD TV we've had for over 4 years and it's been trouble free. Samsung did have a capacitor problem several years ago, but that seems to have been corrected.
    Unless you watch a lot of sports, or fast action movies, a 120 HZ TV should work for you.

• llaatt22
    10 years ago

Samsung have a rep for building and selling a lot of good stuff at rock bottom prices but getting pretty snarly when some nobody gets stuck with one of their lemons. It is an attitude that seems to be gaining ground among many foreign appliance makers these days and some that are native to North America as well.
    Given the odds, your best bet is getting the Costco Samsung you like with the total of 5 years Costco/SquareDeal warranty coverage (final three for an extra $100).
    Good viewing!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks jimisham,
    That is good to know.

Laat.... Thanks, I did know about the extended warranty with Costco.
    It might be the wise thing to do...

• vnw232
    10 years ago

I have four flat panels from various manufacturers. As far as quality and ease of use, my Samsung blows the rest of them out of the water.

• stoveguyy
    10 years ago

$1100? My first car was $400. Easy to find 40" sets for $300. Once u pass 42", price usually goes up 50% as u approach 50". That being said, I do see lots of 50" sets for 450-500. Maybe in ur world 1100 is pocket change.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

vnw232
    Thank you, I think I am going to go with the Samsung.
    Cavell
    I am not sure what your point is but thanks for the help.

• w0lley32
    10 years ago

I think I get Cavell's point. I just came back from a vacation down in Myrtle Beach, where I bought that exact same TV for 849.99. I am very satisfied with this TV and would gladly recommend it to you.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woolley,

I finally bought the Samsung because Costco went down to 1100.00 on a sale but you are right the prices in the states really upset me. I should not have looked.
    Enjoy yours, mine isnot hooked up yet.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource