Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are tweeter materials important.? I have aluminum dome ones and

Posted by tobr24u (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 9, 06 at 10:14

wonder if they are as good as titanium, diamond(?) or some other type. In my search for new speakers in the 3K range I have zeroed in on tweeters as the most likely area to improve my listening. I believe most woofers of the same size will give me similar sounds. Am I right in this assumption and that tweeters are the key?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are tweeter materials important.? I have aluminum dome ones

Many people would say your assumption is flawed. Woofers are made of a variety of materials as well (doped paper, polypropylene, Kevlar, metal composites, etc.) in an attempt to keep the driver as non-deforming as possible. This is especially important in two-way designs because the woofers handle higher frequency ranges than they do in multiple-way designs.

It certainly may be true that better tweeters would improve your listening, especially if your current speakers are treble-shy and you prefer a brighter sound. But I would disregard the materials from which the components are made and just go with the sound. There are so many variables which can affect the sound of a speaker regardless of the materials used for drivers -- crossover design, placement in the room, the amplifier driving them -- that zeroing in on one type of tweeter is misguided, IMHO.

o
RE: Are tweeter materials important.? I have aluminum dome ones

Thanks for the input, Steve, you made many good points about speaker components...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here