'THUMP' in sub-woofer

Posted by catchmeifyoucan (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 10:02

Equipment:

Yamaha RVX-640 receiver
Klipsch reference series speakers
Mitsubishi DD8040 DVD player
DirecTV H20 HD Sat Receiver

This past Friday night we had a BIG BIG lightning storm ........ lasted for hours. Zapped my original DirecTV HD receiver and a phone hub. So DTV sent me a new receiver and everything works fine ........... except

Everytime I change channels with the HD receiver or switch tracks on the DVD player I get a "thump" in the sub-woofer. It does this whether I change channels or tracks with the remotes, or manually with the buttons on the DVD player or HD receiver. Other than that the sub and all the other speakers work fine.

Since this occurs with either the DVD player or the HD receiver I'm thinking the problem is with the Yamaha ...... or possible the coaxial cable to the sub-woofer. Anybody have any clues? Or any suggestions on anything to try to narrow down my search. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'THUMP' in sub-woofer

Does your equipment have any type of time delay features?

My McIntosh C29 preamp has a circuit which delays output for about a second, to avoid woofer thump at "power on" as you described. It's possible that your equipment has similar features that activate during channel or track changes, and that these got damaged during the storm?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here