Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grittymitts

Cordless & Cell Phones use when it's Lightening

grittymitts
15 years ago

Wonder if anyone knows if it's safe to use cordless and/or cell phones during lightening storm? A friend's DH vows both land line cordless phones & cell phones can and do attract it. True?

I've used one or the other a couple of times during storms when called about critically ill family memeber but did not feel safe.

Suzi

Comments (10)

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

They're safe.

The only phone that wouldn't be safe is the corded telephone, in which case you could get a shock if lightning struck near the telephone company's wires, but wouldn't attract lightning anymore than if you weren't using it.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

INSIDE they are fine. outside you don't even want one on your person. of course, you don't want to be outside during a lightning storm anyway!

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

There's nothing wrong with using a cordless and/or cell phone during a lightening storm inside or outside.

• grittymitts
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks y'all!

Suzi

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

There's nothing wrong with using a cordless and/or cell phone during a lightening storm inside or outside.

outside there is a SLIGHT increase in odds of attracting lightning. it ain't much, and as i said you should not be outside in it anyway. the increase is comparable to carrying around any other hunk of metal next to your head.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

a 2"x3" cell phone is not much of a "hunk of metal" considering it's half plastic.

There's probably more metal in your pocket with the keys and coins.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

regardless even the manufacturers recommend you do nto use them outside durign lightning. the metal in the phones combined with teh electric field of the phone can attract lightning. is it likely, NO. but it CAN.

i work in the industry and deal with lightning on an ongoing basis. hell, i have seen it strike cars and blow out the entire electrical system before. remember that a car is insulated from ground by the tires, so in theory this should never happen but it does on a regular basis.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

> even the manufacturers recommend you do nto use them outside durign lightning.

post a few links ....

• chris8796
    15 years ago

I would agree with the National Weather Service and say no cell phones and cordless phones do not increase the risk of being struck by lightning. The distraction of being on the phone (instead of paying attention to the dangers of the storm)is probably a greater risk than any physical phenomenom.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA

• memarcus
    15 years ago

I once was approached by an HR lady at work that swore up and down that if lightning hit the telephone company's line that the lightning would travel through the lines and (in her words) "seek out" the cordless handset thus electrocuting the user. I'm sure there could be a miniscule risk on corded phones but she swore that cordless phones were DEADLY.

My sides ached for days from laughing so hard.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996