Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tobr24u

Does the number of woofers matter in a speaker?

tobr24u
17 years ago

As I continue my quest for the right speakers I see speakers with any number of woofers from one to several in the same price range. How many does one need, or is one good one enough?

Comments (6)

• hey_starfish
    17 years ago

All you really need is one woofer and one tweeter to have a great sounding speaker. Multiple drivers can create more problems than they solve. Close your eyes and let your ears decide.

• tobr24u
    Original Author
    17 years ago

starfish, thanks for the reply. But I wonder why so many expensive speakers have such an array of woofers if they interfere with each other?

• jdbillp
    17 years ago

There are many theories to how to make a good sounding and good looking speaker .

Some manufacturers use one large driver for bass. 12" to 15" diameter. One drawback to this is it makes for a rather wide speaker cabinet.

Other manufacturers will use multiple smaller drivers for bass. 6" to 10" diameter. This gives them the woofer surface area desired for good bass response but allows a narrower cabinent face.

• tobr24u
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This does get interesting. I have B&W speakers at present with one 8 inch woofer per speaker. Is that good enough?

• jdbillp
    17 years ago

If YOU like the sound of them, then yes, that is good enough.

BTW I have B&W speakers, too. DM603 Series 3. They have dual 6.5" woofers.

Here is a link that might be useful: DM603S3

• naparover
    17 years ago

most electronic stuff - especially "consumer" brands, its all marketing play -- whos got this "biggest", "more than" blah blah. IGNORE all that...size matters not one bit (as Yoda whould say) -- there are very high end loudspeaker systems using nothing but very small drivers, and very cheap crap using dual 15" woofers. i.e. its NOT about size...its about engineering. YOUR ears will determine what sounds best for you in your room..nothing else. Example, I have a Martin Logan tiny 8" subwoofer that will rock the foundation of my house. Listen with your ears and ignore absolutely everything else spec or size wise. Also if you can avoid at all costs any big box, big brand store, and hunt out smaller independant audio shops...youll get access to audio driven products and knowledgable salespeople and service. Many will also let you audition products in your own home. Happy listening!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022