Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerful1_gw

Garmin Attention Tone

cheerful1_gw
14 years ago

I had a Garmin Streetpilot, which just died out on me. I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi. To my chagrin, I discovered it doesn't have the "attention tone", which forewarns you that a turn, lane change, etc. is coming.

I assumed that all the Garmins had this as a standard feature, but for whatever reason, it's not there anymore.

Wondering if anyone has come across this problem, and have they come up with a solution?

Comments (3)

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

which model ?

• cheerful1_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Garmin Nuvi 1350

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

Nuvi 1350 doesn't seem to have it ...

from http://www.gpsmagazine.com/comments/000542.php

a few paraghraphs down ...

"Good to know that road excludes are a feature - something that Garmin once offered and is available on even the cheapest units from other manufacturers.

I still won't by another Garmin product until other features are returned, like the all-important attention tone. To me, the tone wakes you up, alerting you to an upcoming instruction. This is a must when listening to the radio (especially talk radio that blends into the TTS), having your window cracked open even a little, or just being lulled into a trance by the wordy TTS, forgetting to take the actual turn.

But, as we know, this will be introduced on the nuvi 948756 and sold as a new, exciting, ground-breaking feature. Hasn't anyone figured out that Garmin is taking us all for a ride (no pun intended) as they continue to milk the ridiculous nuvi series?

Posted by: RobGPS on June 22, 2009 12:56 PM : Reply to This Comment
    Doh.... so which new Nuvi units don't have the attention tone??

I have the old Nuvi 350 and took it for granted that the newer units would have such a basic feature.

Posted by: Nuvi on June 23, 2009 2:24 PM : Reply to This Comment
    I know that my 350 has the attention tone, but I think that it was taken out in the original nuvi 200 series and going forward unless it's on the newest products.

Posted by: Peter Griffin on July 9, 2009 8:44 AM : Reply to This Comment
    I agree with RobGPS, every "new" Nuvi unit that comes out touts a feature that was present on the much older Garmins or on TomTom units for years.

It is really getting ridiculous.

I sure hope I did not offend this pro-Garmin group on here.

Posted by: Frank on June 23, 2009 9:27 AM : Reply to This Comment
    I agree with you 100%. That's why I stated in the above article that this is a major gap that Garmin should correct, and include on all nuvi models -- not just the 8x5 models.

Posted by: Fletch on June 23, 2009 11:59 AM : Reply to This Comment
    I too wanted the attention tone on my Garmin. I still use a street pilot 2610 which has the best practical features... In fact, all the street pilot serie was fantastic until they release the nuvi.

If you want one of the best unit out there, I think the SP 7200 is a great unit with most recent maps and all the features that are found on the SP serie and gone in the nuvi. Some retailers still have this model.

I had bought a nuvi 760 and I could not understand how garmin could removed such interesting features found on the SP serie.

I found on a forum a program to edit the audio files found on the nuvi unit and guess what, the original audio file contain the attention tone sound in the file and they are the exact same sound found on my old 2610 so the sound are present in the nuvi why there is no possibility to use them, I don't know."

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA