Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digital medical thermometers

Posted by davestexas (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 21:57

This forum might be the right one for my question/problem.
I've had a number of digital thermometers and everyone of them bled the battery dry. As far as I know the consumer can not 'turn Off' the memory. I seldom use the thermometer, but when I need it, it's got to be there. I can't really see the mercury kind all that well these days. Are there any digitals that don't have a memory or at least one that can be disabled? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digital medical thermometers

Dave,

My suggestion to you is to treat this like other things that people want to be able to rely on. If you want it to work when you really need it, check it periodically when you don't need it. I'm not sure how long these things last for you, but I suggest you mark your calendar to check it every 3 or 6 months.

Digital thermometers are cheap (<$20) and should be thought of as a disposable. If yours doesn't work, get another one. It's not worth worrying about or futzing with.

o

The old digital specimen I have doesn't have a memory feature, the battery lasts for *years*.

o

I've had a couple digital medical thermometers, and a digital cooking thermometer all for probably over 12 years and have never had a problem or changed a battery in them. Not sure what kind of memory function one of these would have but I don't doubt you that yours does - but the memory should usually be non-volatile or not enough of a current requirement to cause a problem.

Along the lines of similar products that use small button cell batteries, however, if you have changed the battery and the original was something like an SR44 - Do Not use an LR44 or AG13 alkaline replacement for the original SR44 silver oxide battery - they will not last.

Also, make sure the thermometers are stored in a cool area to prolong battery life.

o

Problem solved. Thank you for the responses. I appreciate them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here