Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

Digital camera purchase - any suggestions?

downsouth
16 years ago

We are purchasing a new digital camera soon. I would like a point and shoot camera with excellent zoom capability. Is there such a camera, LOL? I enjoy taking pictures of birds and hope to get some beautiful close up shots. Is there a point and shoot on the market with the zoom I would be happy with, without getting blurry pictures?

He's looking at the Canon Rebel XTi, which I'm not sure whether it's a point and shoot? It's rather pricey, but he said it gets good reviews. I don't mind spending $800, but I believe we could find one for a much lesser price that will fit our needs. We are the type of people who keep the camera set on Auto. Would also use it to zoom in our grandson at his football games. I also would like our new camera to not be so heavy.

Any particular options we should be looking at while camera searching? A friend of mine has a Canon with an image stabilizer and she said not to get one without this feature.

Is one brand better than another? Anxious to see what your recommendations/suggestions are.

Dee

Comments (7)

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

Sony 8.1 MP Cyber-Shot DSC-H7/B Digital Camera w/ 15x Optical Zoom, Image Stabilization, and Face Detection.

I havent messed with digi camera's in a while. But that fits your needs. And it should have enough manual settings to keep your hubby happy.

Under $400 at walmart.

15:1 Zeiss Lens/Optical Zoom, with Stabilization. (optical zoom is what you want for good zoom pics)
    Lith Ion battery,,, (lasts long time on a charge)
    8.1 megapixel,,, just fine and dandy.

• steve_o
    16 years ago

The Canon Rebel XTI is a digital single-lens-reflex camera. It can be left on Auto and used with the lens it comes with, but, frankly, if that's all you do with it, you're wasting your money. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, and Sony all sell cameras worth considering.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Image stabilization will let you get a better picture in low light and maybe fix some "user errors". But it won't fix every motion problem. You still can end up with blurry pictures.

- Don't buy just megapixels. The way the camera handles the picture after you take it ("image processing") is even more important than the number of pixels. For the size of pictures most people will put in their homes, 6-8 megapixels is enough. Worry more about your options in managing the picture.

- Watch the zooms. It sounds really good to have a 10x or 15x zoom, but most zooms get really dark at the far end. In addition, image stabilization will work the same at the wide and tele ends of the zoom even though that, too, may result in some unwanted effects.

- It really helps to get your hands on cameras you're thinking of buying. Any given camera may seem too small for one person; too clumsy to handle to someone else; too difficult to operate. Take pictures, but also try some scene modes, formatting a memory card, and try deleting a shot.

- If you can, either get return privileges or see if the store will either print some of your pictures or display them on a large screen. The little LCD on the back of the camera is not adequate for judging color, sharpness, contrast, or focus.

- If you can, shop at a camera shop. Though it may be hard to believe, camera shops will sell the same cameras at the same prices as discount stores or big-box electronics stores. And you usually get the benefit of a wider range of cameras and accessories and a salesperson who isn't just substituting from Small Appliances.

I realize this is a lot to read, but it can help you from spending a lot of money on a camera that doesn't do what you want it to do.

• downsouth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That Sony camera does sound really good, Mikie. We'll go look at it tomorrow at Walmart.

Steve, never enough information, thanks.

I rather have a Point and Shoot that has good optical zoom for far away pictures, but hubby says you can't get that without buying a SLR. He really likes the Canon Digital Rebal XTi, but I just don't see us changing zoom lenses. Maybe if I can stall him for awhile, I can find a Point and Shoot that has a great optical zoom without buying those additional lens. He said most Point and Shoot cameras won't accept additional lenses. Is this true?

Our son has the Canon Power Shot 2IS. He let us use it this weekend and the only thing I don't like about it is the small LCD. It's 5MP and 12X zoom. It does make great pictures, but hubby wants something newer. I have a feeling we are going to end up with an SLR, LOL!

• daylilydayzed
    16 years ago

I had to replace my little Canon A300 3.5 mega-pixel after my grandson dropped it from a swing and it fell to the ground. It would display a picture on the memory card but it would not take a picture when the shutter button was pressed. I ended up going to Wal-Mart where I found a Samsung L73 7.2 mega-pixel point and shoot with Smart Touch and Advance Shake Reduction with a zoom 5.8-17.4mm. It takes great photos of flowers and people . It has individual settings for each. It ran about $250.00

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

The Canon Sure Shots (sp?) are an excellent line of cameras for a point and shoot. We have one and a Rebel xti and its amazing how good the point and shoot compares. Its just limited as to features and lenses.

• downsouth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. We went with the Canon XTi. I'm not sure what it is actually called, the 400D, an EOS or just XTi. It's way more camera than we really need, but it's what hubby wanted. He has already ordered an extra lens for it. I think this camera is going to be way over our head, but supposedly there is a CD on the market somewhere we can buy that will help us. Now why doesn't that come with the camera? Just something else you have to buy extra, LOL! Wolf Camera offers a digital photography class that includes the XTi, but you have to buy your camera from them.

We have an old (very old) Minolta X700 that made really great pictures (35mm camera) and we never did learn everything about that camera. Since this new one is digital, we can experiment more without the cost of developing film!

Next year we're still going to get a small point and shoot that will be small enough I can carry in my pocket.

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Thanks for the update, downsouth. Who knows? Maybe this digital thing will really catch on and you'll buy a second lens. The way your hubby is talking about a lens which will reach, it sounds like it's in the (credit) cards.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals