Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reverse polarity and computers

Posted by jason1083 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 17:55

this came up on the electrical forum. Would reverse polarity likely cause a computer PSU to fail and would it do so in the dramatic manner described below?

I tested my desktop computer in a three prong outlet using a surge protector, and it worked fine. I then attempted to install the computer across the room where my desk is using a different outlet. This was a two prong outlet, so I bought a two to three prong converter for it, and plugged my surge protector in there. I didn't even turn my computer on, but about a minute after plugging it in sparks started shooting from the power supply of my computer. It is now dead.

I called the landlord, and they sent an electrician in. He told me that the outlet has something called "reverse polarity

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reverse polarity and computers

I may be wrong, but I would think it wouldn't matter.
The hot and neutral lines come in on the AC side and go
thru a transformer to drop the voltage to the proper level.
Then the AC current goes thru a full wave bridge rectifier
to convert it to DC. Then it gets filtered to get smooth DC.
I would think it wouldn't matter which way the
primary side of the transformer was hooked up to AC.

Anyone care to confirm or correct any of this?

Pooh Bear

o

Reversed polarity affects personal safety in certain situations, but will not cause the equipment failure and fire.

o

A surge protector need a ground to work, but a GFI outlet may work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here