Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these blue bars on my HDTV ?

Posted by johns08 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 08 at 17:17

Recently, my 32 inch Sharp HDTV has two vertical blue bars (about 1 1/2 wide)that appear on the screen. They are present even when the TV is disconnected from cable or antenna, and also when DVD or games are used. The TV is one month out of warranty. I am hoping that it is some kind of interference and not the set, but that may wishful thinking. Any ideas what may be the cause? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these blue bars on my HDTV ?

Not interference.

IIRC, my former service tech friend said this kind of problem is a defective drive IC.

You'll need to take it to a service station. But, call Sharp customer service and see if they will cover the repair.

o

Thanks for the info. I called Sharp customer service and they requested some digital photos showing the problem, which I did. They replied that they received them and will get back to me after technicians examine the pictures. All of my old CRT tvs lasted at least 10 years. Now this high tech $1300 set may require an expensive repair after only 13 months. Bad luck or reliabilty issue?

o

Probably bad luck. Sharp enjoys a decent reliability rating.

Did they hint at covering the repair?

o

I assume that Sharp customer service will want to identify the problem first before any discussion about repair costs. I will try very hard to get some help because it seems that the driver IC is quite expensive to replace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here