Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
folkvictorian

Anyone know of a good AM radio?

folkvictorian
14 years ago

We live in the sticks and have satellite radio but also have an old Sony boom-box-cassette-player that was a good AM radio. The Sony has died and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good radio to buy in order to get a strong AM signal. The only other radio that got good AM reception was a 1950's or 60's K-mart clock radio that was left in our garage by a previous owner -- great for baseball games!

Anyone know of a good AM radio or how to make an average radio get a better AM signal? I know little-to-nothing about electronics......Thank you in advance!

Colleen

Comments (5)

• jdbillp
    14 years ago

Here you go...

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jdbillp! I appreciate the help!
    -Colleen

• monkey_joe
    14 years ago

Hello Colleen, I'm completely new to this forum type communication. I just joined this club a couple days ago because I was looking for a member called Pee-wee. A quick overall, I'm paralyzed from shoulders down, you specialized equipment for daily activity, my Magnavox television is on the fritz. To replace it would cost me hundreds more than the set itself, a new one that is. pee_wee was giving great advice on how to fix Magnavox at-home. Local repair guy says he can't be fixed, just wants to sell another set. Hoping Pee-wee can help me if I can find him. As for your AM radio, the older style with tubes were great for a.m. they would pick up when nothing else would. I have a small wooden box old-style AM/FM receiver that works great. hook couple couple of speakers and a quality antenna, I think you'll be impressed. I bought it because I had one of the old console type a.m. FM radio turntable units in my house. Was going to replace it, couldn't do it. Has a terrific sound system. So I throw my XM radio on top of the unit and crank it out. The small one I bought to replace it with is the old turn knob. And receives very well. I'm not roll up on the policy of the unit yet if I'm allowed to offer to sell it to you. If you want it. Give me the $20I paid for it and the $10 it cost to ship it to you. You don't like it, it doesn't work out for you, send it back, I'll give you your 20 back. If this is breaking any of the rules that go with this website, you can contact me at piafink@dmcom.net. Hope this helps

• gmann1
    14 years ago

A good cheap AM radio would be the G.E. Super Radio. It has an RF amp in the front end and both very good sensitivity and selectivity. However I don't know that you can buy them new anymore. Don't buy an add on or external antenna. They just don't work that well. Another option is get a car radio and hook it up to a 12 volt power supply. Hope this helps>.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    14 years ago

A few years ago I lived in the middle of an ancient lakebed in the middle of Nevada and the only radio I found that would work was a car radio.