Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miniature DC Motor Control

Posted by dahrich (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 14:59

Hello:
I want a simple control for a small DC motor.
What I want to do is start the motor, have it run for about 2 seconds then stop. The thing is I want to stop it as acturately as possibly using a switch to cut off the voltage to the motor. But then I want to be able to start the motor, have it run in the same direction as before and then stop at the same switch.

I could use a timer and run the motor for 2 seconds and then stop when the timer "times out" but I'm afraid the motor will not stop at the same place each time and thus "drift" as it is started and stopped repeatedly.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miniature DC Motor Control

What you are describing, is what's known as a servo-motor. A servo-motor uses feedback, usually from a pulse generator, to let the control circuitry "know" the exact position and speed of the motor. Of course this usually requires an IC based designed circuit to perform this.

Depending on what you are driving with the motor, you may be able to create a micro-switch based logic circuit to stop at the same point each time, similar to something like old-style ignition points. Something like a notch that the micro-switch could drop into and stop the motor. The next "on" signal would then restart the process.

o
RE: Miniature DC Motor Control

yosemitebill:
thank you for your reply:
I have come across another site where I have gotten an answer.
I know about servos etc but didn't want anything that sophicated mainly becasue of the controler requirements and the cost. The solution I now have uses a flipflop and other electronic components which will be easy for me to build. Thanks again for your input.

Regards,
Richard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here