Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leviton modular 6 conductor phone jack wiring

Posted by microxl (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 14:56

I am trying to consolidate a phone wire and an F coax cable from two separate boxes to one box using the Leviton's snap-in modules in their Decora line.

My problem is understanding how I rewire from the old phone jack to the new modular one. The old setup has four short red, black, green and yellow wires that go from pin-jack contacts to screws in each of the four corners of the unit. Wires from the cable are matched at each screw as follows: orange to black; orange/white to yellow; blue to red; blue/white to green.

I do not understand how the above can be adapted to the small module. Nor do I understand the two tiered color coding since it would seem (for example) that if you insert a wire in the (#2)black coded hole(tier 1) you would also make contact with orange/white (tier 2)which is directly below the black.

Since the cable itself doesn't have red,yellow,green and black, do you still use these short lengths and and insert the ends into the corresponding color-coded contacts?

Does the black snap-on cap simply secure the wires in place? Is there a purpose for the four slots on the back of this cap?

Thanks,
Bob W.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leviton modular 6 conductor phone jack wiring

The diagrams on this page (link below) may help. If not, come back and we can figure it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiring colors in the phone jack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here