Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compact stereo and in-wall speakers

Posted by davetz1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 11:07

I am planning a kitche remodel and would reallly like to include built-in speakers. I have two pair Bose 191 in-wall speakers and plan on using 2 separate in-wall volume controls.
Do to limited space in the stereo cabinet, I'd like to use a compact shelf stereo. Can one of these be used with the Bose 191 speakers? Any thoughts on a specific model that would have sufficient wattage to power both pairs of speakers at once? Also, do I need a speaker switch unit if I want to listen to only one pair of speakers at a time or can i simply use the colume controls to turn one pair off?
Thanks very much,
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compact stereo and in-wall speakers

Most compact stereos don't have a good enough quality amp to properly run more than one pair of speakers.

That being said, if you buy an impedance matching switch box that has volume controls for each pair of speakers, you can probably get away with it at low volume.

o
RE: Compact stereo and in-wall speakers

Jdbillp and others: So is there a small stereo of higher quality that would work for this sort of application or is there a minimum wattage per channel I should look for? It's not so much a question of $ as a question of size--I am limited to about a 10" depth for whatever stereo unit I chose. Thanks again,
Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here