Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice needed on tv

Posted by ournewhouseinla (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 10:58

We currently have directv and want it in our new house but not sure about when to call. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am curious to know if we need the company to come out to the new house to install anything before the the insullation is installed.

I hope this doesn't sound to dumb. I just want to make sure everything is done in the right order.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice needed on tv

We just had an addition put on our house. We had the GC make sure that the electrician brought the satellite cable into the room from the outside, which he did before the drywall went on. So your GC or electrician can bring in the correct wiring during the building, so you won't have another hole in the side of your house where the wiring will enter.

It will be up to us to get DirecTV out to take it from the dish to the family room - which we aren't planning to do yet. (We're currently using the new addition, which will be a family room eventually, as a temporary kitchen while the kitchen is being remodeled.)

Hope this helps -

DonnaR/CA

o
RE: advice needed on tv

RG6 coax is generally the standard now but make sure its RG6 or better. I had one person post in another thread that RG5 (I think) is available now and is better but you would only notice it on runs over 100 feet if memory serves me.

Anyway, I have found RG6 to be fine. However, the fewer the splices or loops, the better. Not many of ours (in NH) are looped. Most are direct feeds to the hook up box...lots of wires though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here