Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about adding speakers to stereo

Posted by jimrac (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 10:19

Hi,

We are remodeling our basement, the room presently has no sheet rock, down to the studs on the walls and ceilings. Now in my next room, I have a small stereo,, with 2 speakers attached to it. We are thinking of running some wire to the new room and adding some speakers to the ceilings. Make sense?

Now, what type of wire should we use, what are some decent speakers to use in the ceilings, and where should the speakers be placed on the ceiling. The room is about 23' wide, by 16 feet from front to back. Has 7.5' ceilings.
I have added recessed lighting to the ceiling, not sure if that makes much difference.

very much appreciate your thought and opinions.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about adding speakers to stereo

Without seeing the stereo or the room, here goes.

You MAY be able to hookup a pair of additional speakers. Most stereo receivers have provisions for 2 pair. Most manufacturers of inexpensive stereos do not recommend more than 1 pair of speakers be hooked up.

Where to put the speakers will depend on furniture placement, room design, and aesthetics. Many people try to line up their ceiling speakers with the lighting so as to help them blend in better.

Generally, 16 gauge speaker wire will suffice. Make sure to run a separate wire from the stereo to each speaker. DO NOT run the wires in series.

Good speaker manufacturers include Speakercraft, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Paradigm, Polk Audio.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here