Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silk vs aluminum tweeter? I have a pair of

Posted by tobr24u (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 10:00

Paradigm speakers that I had one of my sisters purchase at the same time as I purchased a pair of B&Ws. Same price, same size and twenty years ago! The Paridigms have the silk tweeter with poly woofers. My B&Ws have the aluminum tweeters and paper woofers. My sister got rid of these speakers as she never used them and would prefer a mini-stereo, which I have found most woman to prefer. I don't even think her speakers were broken in. I have read that the silk gives a warmer high end especially in regard to vocals. I switch them back and forth and don't know if I am hearing difference. I am going to give one pair to my son, which pair would you give away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silk vs aluminum tweeter? I have a pair of

They are both excellent speaker companies. Much depends on the systems you both have and the power driving them and your room acoustics. A well-made aluminum tweeter that is both thin and rigid can work every bit as good as silk and even better. It is all personal preference. If you can't hear a difference between them, then I would say it is a toss-up which you give away. If you don't have a subwoofer, I would probably keep the one that goes deeper before distorting. But that is my personal preference. To each his own.

Greg

o
RE: Silk vs aluminum tweeter? I have a pair of

Thanks for the input. My sister's Paradigms were used so little that I don't think they are even broken in, so I may go with those...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here