Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plasma hdtv without hd service

Posted by jln5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 9:56

I am inheriting a 42" Panasonic Plasma tv, I believe it is only a year or two old. It looked beautiful when it was connected to HDTV service through the cable company, but when they came and took the box/special remote away, it did not look good at all. As the cable guy said, you can see all of the pixels. I am not going to have HDTV cable service where I will be using it. Is there going to be a way to perhaps change the settings so it will look better without hdtv? Of course I am not expecting it to look as good, but right now in it's current location without HDTV, it looks terrible IMO. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plasma hdtv without hd service

Just so I'm clear, are you running this with an analog cable signal, or over the air with an antenna?

o

Yes, analog cable signal.

o

You will need to rescan the channels. Then, start with channel 2 and click ^ slowly viewing each channel that is shown. Some cablecos provide unencrypted streams of the major networks in clear QAM, and these will look significantly better than the analog channels.

o

Great, thank you so much. I don't have the tv at my house yet, and I can choose between the 42" Panasonic Plasma or a 32" Samsung (not plasma). When they were hooked up to HD, the plasma looked phenomenal, but when the cable guy unhooked it, it looked worse than the Samsung, so I was debating taking the Samsung instead of the plasma.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here