Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TiVo connection -- phone line or network?

Posted by stircrazy (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 8:22

Hi, all,

In my old home, my TV setup was right next to a phone jack, so I just had my TiVo hooked up that way.

I have digital voice in my new place, so that means paying extra for a phone line, which I don't want to do.

I know that you can set up TiVo with either a wired or wireless home network. I have both, and am trying to decide which to use. Anyone have any experience? It seems like the wireless might be a bad option if your wireless router hangs (mine does sometimes).

Also, if you have your TiVo hooked up through a home network, could you please tell me what kind of network adapter you're using?

Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TiVo connection -- phone line or network?

I'm on a wireless network, have both my tivo boxes on it. It works great, I can access and change programing from my work computer and I can also access all my music and pictures on my computer thru TIVO on my TV. Plus lots of yahoo games and weather. Also can transfer programs between tivo boxes.

Good Luck

o
RE: TiVo connection -- phone line or network?

Hooking up to a network is way better than a phone line for the reasons already posted and more.

The Tivo only needs to "talk to the mothership" every 7 to 14 days to download the EPG.

When I set up my wireless Tivo's (I have 2 wireless, 1 wired), I needed a "real" phone line for the initial setup and system upgrade. Once the system was upgraded, the wireless adapters worked fine.

The last time I set up a Tivo was with a wired network adapter and it did not need a phone line for the initial setup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here