Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boblink_gw

Paper Shredder

Boblink
11 years ago

Hi, I could not find a forum for Paper Shredders" and if I should be POSTing elsewhere, please advise. I puchased a (Staples) Identity Guard Shredder Model SH1524CP several years ago that stopped shredding and would appreciate any help / suggestions / advice /..... that you can offer.

As I mentioned, the shredding function does not work (nothing happens when I place a piece of paper in the shredder) but what does work just fine is the REVERSE button.

When I press reverse, I hear the motor and the shredder reverses (paper that is stuck / caught is able to be retrieved) but when I place the shredder in SHRED MODE, NOTHING happens (no sound of the motor, no movement of the paper). Any help that you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Bob

Comments (10)

• azinoh
    11 years ago

If this is the $40 shredder that I think it is, is it really worth it to you to try & fix it? If you did get several years use out of it, that's not too bad as these things go.

• Boblink
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks azinoh, it's a 24 sheet shredder that was almost $200 and yes, I did get a few years out of it but if their is something that I might be able to do (may be a fuse needs replacement) that would be great but if it's bringing in for repair (which I assume is not going to be inexpensive) I'll probably replace it.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

I found one place that said "Check the safety interlock between the collection container and the head of the shedder. See if anything else has built up or jammed, and blow it out with the aircompressor [sic]" and that was it.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

I once tried to 'inadvertantly' shred some of those
    mailing labels that we all receive a ton of, and
    the sticky stuff on the labels jambed my shredder,
    so that it wouldn't work anymore. I disassembled it
    and got all the sticky labels out of the cutters
    and it worked again. YMMV.
    HEY, open it up and see what you can find.
    You've got nothing to lose.

• Boblink
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll check the safety interlock and see if any of the gummy labels are screwing up the mechanism and as you said, I've got nothing to lose so I'll give it a try
    Thank you for your help,
    Bob

• yosemitebill
    11 years ago

In my experience of fixing my own paper shredders over the years, there are usually three internal safety switches in the forward mode. 1) Senses when paper has been inserted - can be a mechanical switch or an infrared optical interrupt with an LED on one side and detector on the other - either way is usually located in the middle of the feeder. 2) As Albert already pointer out, a safety interlock for the bin being in place. 3) A "bin full" switch that the shredded paper would press up upon. In addition there is the main power switch for the auto/on mode to begin with.

Since it's running in reverse that's good. Sometimes the shredded paper builds up in nooks and crannies and prevents the switches from working properly. Of course those sticky labels can do similar things as well. Also check for wire connectors being pulled off any one of those four switches. Unfortunately, sometimes the little plastic levers that trip the switches may break off.

There is also usually an overheat switch on the motor that will reset itself after a few minutes if it's been running too hard or long - but that doesn't seem the case here.

• Boblink
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys, I tried to open the "head" of the shredder and have run into a problem (what�s new), a removed 6 screws on the bottom of the shredder head (i.e. the part that you can not see when the shredder head is placed over the paper collection bin) and tried to open the shredder head to get a peek inside but the bottom part does separate from the top and I don�t want to force it (and break/crack the plastic). BTW, apparently Techko Inc makes the shredder for Staples and the Model number is SH1524CP.
    In any event, I would appreciate a little more help and will comment and/or address "my plans" for the fixes that you suggested.

Suggestion: Check the safety interlock between the collection container and the head of the shredder.
    Bob: The shredder head and collect bin appear to be lined up correctly, the unit has an amble indicator light when it�s not and a green indicator light when it is aligned properly and "ready to go"

Suggestion: I disassembled it and got all the sticky labels out of the cutters and it worked again.
    Bob: I am trying to remove any paper that I can see manually using eye tweezers but obviously will be able to do a better job if I was able to dissemble (take the bottom part off the shredder head) and any help would be appreciated.
    Suggestion: three internal safety switches in the forward mode. 1) Senses when paper has been inserted - can be a mechanical switch or an infrared optical interrupt with an LED on one side and detector on the other - either way is usually located in the middle of the feeder. 2) As Albert already pointer out, a safety interlock for the bin being in place. 3) A "bin full" switch that the shredded paper would press up upon. In addition there is the main power switch for the auto/on mode to begin with.
    The shredder has ALL three, a sensor when paper is inserted since the unit starts shredding immediate (in the Auto mode). Yes, it displays either an Amber or Green indicator light (as I previously detailed) and the amber indicator is displayed when the bin is full. ALL of these functions are "automatic so there must be a sensor for each
    check for wire connectors being pulled off any one of those four switches.
    Bob: I will need to open the shredder head to check this
    There is also usually an overheat switch on the motor that will reset itself after a few minutes if it's been running too hard or long - but that doesn't seem the case here.
    No I don�t think it is, I unplugged the unit and then plugged it in about an hour later and reverse worked but when I put a piece of paper in the unit, nothing happened.
    Thank you again for your help guys,
    Bob

• lbpod
    11 years ago

A lot of today's consumable electronics are assembled
    in a way so as to use the least amount of fasteners,
    (fasteners = money). They will often 'fuse' plastic
    parts together, or mold some sort of click together
    fasteners into the plastic. I say give it a thorough
    inspection, and if necessary, pry it apart. Even if
    you snap some of the molded fasteners, you might be
    able to get it back together using screws or rivets.
    Give it a go.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

I was thinking there is a hidden screw you haven't found. Sometimes they are hidden under stick-on labels. Feel around on any labels that are on the bottom. Also those deepset screws may or may not be all the way out, make sure each one is completely disengaged. And yes as a last resort you might have to pry the two halves apart.

I have had shredders that were so full of fine paper dust and bits that they overheated easily. It's a good idea to open your shredder every once in awhile and clean all that stuff out.