Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with making a Power Outage Lamp

Posted by bigsparks (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 1:46

I have frequent power outages (I live in a rural area outside a city) I have a CyberPower UPS but what I want to do is have a lamp come on if I lose power and then go off when power restores. I don't know alot about electronics but I think what I want to do is simple right? Here's what I think I need to do but again I have little electronics knowledge I have a extra 5VDC/12VDC transformer that will be plugged into the surge only (When the power goes out those outlets loose power) and then a relay comes in to switch on the lamp (9W CFL which will be powered from the Battery Outlets) when the the DC 5V or 12V goes dead the relay will switch on the lamp which will get power from the battery backup outlets. I just need help with what kind of relay to get and how to wire the high and low-Voltage parts
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with making a Power Outage Lamp

Wouldn't it be easier and safer to just by an emergency power failure light ?

some LED versions are about $20

o
RE: Need help with making a Power Outage Lamp

You can buy these type of lights for around $20.

To build one, I would get a CDS cell to control a relay
so that if the room goes dark the light comes on.
You would also want a second control circuit to confirm that the
power is actually off and someone didn't just turn off the room lights.
I would also use a DC light to avoid inverters and such.

We have frequent power outages too.
I've been considering some of these lights for our home.

Pooh Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here