Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about cd player

Posted by gardengirl_nancy (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 21:36

This might sound stupid but I'm not up on all this new tech stuff. I'm older..LOL I have an old Onkyo stereo componet system, bought back in the 70's. Everything still sounds amazing. This week I ordered an Onkyo C-S5Vl cd player. I finally decided to add this because I just had a portable CD boom box. This has wonderful sound, I knew it would as my other componets are so wonderful. I don't understand one thing about this. It says "read" when you put in a CD and takes about 2 minutes before it plays. My portable and also my car cd player play instantly. So why does this have to "read" before playing. I don't get it, can someone younger than me explain it to me? Also I am a little disapointed that you can't go back on the CD, only skip FWD. This is on the panel on the front. I haven't tried the remote yet so maybe you can do it on that. I appreciate any answers anyone has for me, THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about cd player

Wow, excellent choice on a CD player!

Since the player can play multiple formats of discs, it may be getting a little confused with the type of disc you are inserting.

Are these discs store bought stamped audio CDs, audio discs burned on a computer, or MP3 discs?

Please provide some more details and I'll see if I can offer any advice.

As far as the skip FWD/REV issue, it may be related to the disc type.

o

These are all just store bought CD's, no cd's that have been burned. It does also play the SA-CD's, MP3's, etc, I have none of those. There is no button on the player to reverse. Like I said I haven't used the remote yet, there might be one on there. That's no big thing. I just didn't know why it takes so long to "read" and why it doesn't just play right away, like on my portable and in the car.I really don't like that waiting for 2-3 minutes before it starts to play after you put it in. It is worth it though, because my CD's sound better than they ever did. This thing has wonderful sound. I want to buy some SA-Cd's. Thanks!

o

My guess is that the read head has an alignment problem. I'd contact their customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onkyo C-S5VL

o

Agree with Randy. If the discs are clean, and not scratched, then it sounds like a problem in the laser block - contact Onkyo or the retailer for an exchange for another new player.

BTW - If the discs are scratched, use turtle wax to remove them. Apply, let dry, and then buff off in straight lines from the center of the disc out. Rinse the disc off under running water and dry well before playing.

Also, the back button is directly to the right of the display. Press and hold to search backwards, press once(and release) to go to the beginning of the track, press twice (and release) to go back to the previous track.

o

the read unit maybe has a bit problem, you can clean it via a clean disc, if is hardware problem, maybe you need to change it (the the laser header)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here