Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Television Hard Drive?

Posted by candler (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 16:51

I've had my 42" Panasonic plasma for a little over two years. Until a few months back I had no idea my TV might have a disk drive. Then I began to hear a noise like something was spinning. I first noticed it one day when I had muted the sound.

Does my TV have a disk drive? If so, what does it do? If so, could it have been making noise all along and I just didn't know it?

I briefly looked on the Net. No, I've never read the owner's manual. A site or two spoke of TV's and disk drives but I'm unsure to what they referred. Thanks, Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Television Hard Drive?

My guess is that you are hearing one of the TV's cooling fans. It is summer now and maybe your house is warmer than it was a few months ago.

Just to be sure, what is the model number of your Panasonic TV?

o

Thanks. Model TH-42PX600U. A cooling fan was not even considered. It makes sense that a large plasma TV might have one, or two. Sure makes better sense than me thinking it might have a hard drive. They really do get hot, don't they. About a year ago I bought a 5 speaker Samsung DVD system. I left the TV on when installing (probably wrong) and really could feel the heat. Thanks again. Gene

o

If it's definitely plasma, I'd guess fans. If it's a DLP then it could be the mirror thing spinning.

o

Yup. It's a fan. No hard drive in that TV.

o

DLP would be a color wheel on a non LED model.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here