Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bnightowl

Cell phone help-Is this $250 down the drain?

don_na_na
17 years ago

I recently purchased a Sony Ericsson w600i Walkman cell phone. This cell phone has the included mp3 and radio features. The phone was purchased online in an unlocked status. Quiet honestly I didn't know what unlocked meant at first, but was assured that the phone would work with my Cingular account. When I received the phone, all the features worked great, except that when I would make or receive a call-the audio would work for a few seconds and then there would be no sound (I could't hear the other person and they could't hear me).

When I contacted the company that I bought the phone from--I was told to try contacting Sony first-- that they would normally send me another phone. I was told by SonyE to reset the phone and then to update the software. Neither of these things fixed the audio problem.

I then called the SonyE CS# and was told that they would repair the phone but that the phone would be returned to the original locked position in which it was sold. Therfore, I wouldn't be able to use the phone on Cingular. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get this phone fixed and still be able to use it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• steve_o
    17 years ago

If you bought the phone unlocked, you can get it unlocked again once it's repaired. I don't recommend that myself -- Cingular did not certify that phone on their network for some reason or another -- but there are people out there who will do it for a fee. It likely won't be cheap, but it's better than owning a $250 paperweight.

• don_na_na
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After exploring all of my options, I decided to return this cell phone to the company where purchased for an exchange. I have now received a replacement phone. The same audio problem still exists. I believe I may have been sent the same phone again. Could anyone tell me which number on the phone identifys it as being the same phone-is it the FDC-ID#, the IMEI#, or the S/N?

If this isn't the same phone? Does any one have any suggestion as to what I could be doing wrong? Maybe having it on a wrong setting or pushing a wrong button?

Thanks for the help.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

The serial number should be unique. If you have the s/n from the "previous" phone, you can check it against the s/n on this one.

If it is a different phone but you have the same problem, you can do a few things:

- Try to do a "hard reset" of the phone. This should set it back to factory defaults, so if it's a setting you changed inadvertantly, this should set it back to normal. The instructions should be in your user's guide. If not, you should be able to call Sony-Ericsson's tech support for help. You may have to re-enter your phone book info, reload your tunes, and set things like ringers again. But the phone isn't real usable as it is, so ....
    - See if you can return it yet again. I know it's a pain, but maybe your vendor just got a bad batch. Try to get a phone with a s/n further away from the bad phones.
    - Check the Web to see if others are experiencing this problem with this phone. Good forums would be http://www.howardforums.com and http://www.phonescoop.com . You also might check http://www.agoraquest.com ; it's a fan-site for Sony product users, though I don't know if that includes SE phones. When you get to those sites, search for your phone's model number and see what people say before you post a question.

• don_na_na
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Steve--You have been a big help. I checked all of the numbers and then contacted the SE Customer Service. All of The numbers from this phone--matched the numbers to the other phone-so it seems that instead of replacing the phone--the seller just sent me the same phone again. I have contacted him -but no reply yet. I tried the reset,but I'm still having the same audio problems-this isn't suprising since it is the same phone.

I am going to check out the web sites to see if anyone else is having this problem with these phones. Thanks again for your help.