Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old TV - help!

Posted by scottys (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 10:12

Does anyone out there know if there is anything available that I can buy that will make my 1980's TV work again? Since they dropped analog signals its just fuzz.
There are no input jacks of any kind in the back, just two screws where the antenna wire would be hooked up to. TV has sentimental value, so I want to try and get it working again. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old TV - help!

If the tv is working, getting it up and running so you can watch it is easy.

Pick up a 75 ohm matching transformer....it will have 2 leads that look like those that come from an antenna, the other side will have threads that accept coax cable such as the cable that comes from the local cable company. They cost anywhere from $1.00 to $2.00...Walmart, Dollar store, just about anywhere sells them. Screw the 2 leads onto the tv antenna screws on the back of the tv.

Screw one end of a coax cable onto the matching transformer you just bought and installed, the other end into your cable box or satellite box (no digital conversion on your part is necessary).. If you are using an antenna and want to pick up digital channels, you'll need a digital converter box.

Set your tv tuner on channel 3 or 4 (whichever one you chose by way of the switch on the converter box). Turn your converter box on and turn on the tv. Use the fine tune knob behind the channel selector knob to tune in for your best picture. Now all you need to do is turn the tv on and off, no more need to change any channels using the channel selector. You can change channels with the remote to your cable or converter box. It is suggested you take 2 trips up and down your staircase to make up for the exercise you won't be getting by having to get up and change the channel. Depending on your cable/converter box, you may not have to get up to change the volume in which case, double the stair climb.

o

Maryland: thanks for the easy to follow instructions....TV works fine so this baby should be up and running by the weekend! I will look for that transformer piece you describe in radio shack or in my dollar store. Thanks again

o

Scotty,

How'd it turn out for you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here