Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Activating a relay off an LED circuit

Posted by garymunson (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:09

Anyone had luck activating a small PCB relay off an LED circuit? What I would like to do is add a relay to get a make/break circuit that follows an LED. I'm assuming I'd just wire the relay in parallel with the LED but just 'upstream' from the LED's current limit resistor. Any other ideas? I do worry that whatever drives the LED won't have enough reserve capacity to power the relay coil. Wondering if I should actually cut the LED out of the circuit and use a set of relay contacts to light it from a different power source. Should an LED driver circuit be enough to run both the LED and relay coil or only one of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Activating a relay off an LED circuit

I don't yet have a relay to meter the coil resistance. I'm assuming that I'll be using a 5 volt coil one...

o

Another thought I had was to fabricate a photo-electric circuit of some type that 'looks at' the LED and follows the operation that way with the photo circuit driving the relay. This might be outrunning my ability to design something reliable...

o

Assuming the LED has a typical max 20ma rating, you're not going to be able to parallel a relay in there. Without knowing what's driving the LED before the current limiting resistor, it's impossible to say if it would work.

If you have access to the circuit's 5VDC to power the relay coil, maybe your could use an NPN transistor to switch the relay circuit to ground. Just run the transistor's base, through an appropriate resistor - maybe around 1K - to the LED source, collector to the negative side of the relay coil, and emitter to ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here