Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JVC turntable

Posted by izzie (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 9:04

I have an old JVC turntable hasn't been used in over 20 years, it was one of the higher quality turntable in its time.It has been well cared for ie:, not stored in garage, it is in the stereo/tv cabinet. My son and a friend of his wanted to try it out. It seems kids have an interest in the "retro" stuff now. One kid even purchase a newly released vinyl record. However when I plugged it in there was no power. Do think it would be something worth trying to have fixed? Maybe just a "fuse". Sorry, I really no nothing about fixing electronics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JVC turntable

model number may help .. (maybe not)

Is the Motor turning ? look underneath, closely ...

It may just be a bad Turntable Belt.

o

JVC QL-7 Quick stop/quartz locked/FG servo system
Probably purchased in the mid 70's early 80's, can't remember.
When I plug it in and turn it to the on setting there does not seem to be any power. No lights come on, push the 33 or 45 button nothing. I looked underneath, nothing seems to be going, so I think it's just not getting any power. I forgot how heavy this thing is! It might be a simple fix but I no nothing about electronics in any way.

o
RE: JVC turntable/is turning

Also, the turntable spins freely so not a belt problem, if they have these, seems to me they did.

o

I dug out my old JVC turntable last winter and found it did not turn
I removed the turntable and found that the belt was broken
I was able to get a replacement at http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vparts.html.
Send them a description of your problem to see if they can help.

o

> Also, the turntable spins freely so not a belt problem,

The Turntable would spin freely if the Belt was broken.

o

The JVC QL-7 is a 2-speed, quartz-locked, direct-drive, turntable. So no belts.

o

OK, this unit has no belt. But the problem is NO power.

I know you can't diagnose over the internet but do you all out they think the no power problem would be a simple fix or is this going to be really expensive? Probably a bad question to ask on a forum.

o

Some of those old T/T have a removable power cord. If yours does, make sure the cord is plugged fully into the back of the unit.

If yours doesn't have a removable cord, it could be a blown fuse, a bad connection inside the unit, or a bad power supply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here