Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I hook ipod, xm radio, and laptop to one stereo system?

Posted by slc2053 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 8:13

We have a large area (pole barn 30x50) that we want to listen to music in. We have music on an IPOD, a laptop, and we want to listen to XM radio...we want them all connected to one system....we don't want to DJ, but it seems that type of system/equipment will handle this but we're hoping to go with a more standard system...I see some systems are "IPOD ready" but what about XM ready and able to handle the music on our laptop? Someone at circuit city said that we can hook up the XM radio to a standard system, but that we'd only hear it out of 2 of the 5 speakers but that there "is probably a way to hear it out of all the speakers" but he hasn't figured it out yet???

Anyway, can anyone advise on what options we have?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I hook ipod, xm radio, and laptop to one stereo syste

Just a few comments. It seems like the iPod with the computer is redundant. With enough capacity, you could put all of your music on either or both, through iTunes. Or do have some in incompatible file formats? Or are you talking about using Pandora on the laptop? Personally, I'd put what I wanted on the iPod and hook that up to the Aux input (see my other post on this thread). I don't know anything about XM radio, but I don't really understand the circuit city comment. If you're using 5 speakers, you're using surround sound. You should still be able to input your stereo signal and set the receiver to convert it to the 5 channels. I think more information is needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here