Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV has no power

Posted by zwashington_1024 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 3:05

I have a 27" Phillips/Magnavox TV manufactured in 1998. Model# TP2780 Chassis# 27Z500 7523.
A couple of weeks ago I returned home from visiting my daughter and found that my TV would'nt turn on. I was told there had been a storm and the power went out briefly. I have a fairly good surge protector. The main power switch was on, but I had the DVD, cable box, and other electronics turned off for the two weeks I was gone. Everything else plugged into the protector was working and nothing else in the house malfunctioned. So what could have happened and what can I do? I'm on disability and can't afford to but another TV!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV has no power

The first thing that comes to mind would be the inline fuse on the main board. They are generally mounted by pigtails near the area where the wall power cord comes into the TV. You need to remove the back cover for access. Be careful because there are voltages present even with a TV OFF. If you have no soldering skills, then you will need someone to replace the fuse if you find it defective.

o
RE: TV has no power

Twice in two different homes I lost electronics during a storm I am pretty sure from the cable tv cable. Down in TX it was plugged into the VCR, that blew. About 7 years ago here in MN the TV blew, cable was run directly into it. It took a bit to put 2 + 2 together. I called my cable company and asked if cable was grounded, they came out and grounded it. My mom who used to work for the phone comp. said that it should have been grounded, but I doubt any of them do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here