Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnavox TV model 20MS3442/17 turns on and off

Posted by videoastonomer (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 23:34

This TV, barely a year old, turns on and off at random. The ON/OFF timers are disabled in the menu, the clock is set correctly, and the remote can be in another room when this happens. Buttons on the front of the set do not seem to be stuck, or otherwise compromised. Anyone had this experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnavox TV model 20MS3442/17 turns on and off

Does it turn off by itself or only on?

Televisions, unless unplugged, always have electricity running to the power supply. An on/off problem would most likely be in a component there.

Could there be any other device near the TV that could be triggering the set to come on? DVD Player? VCR? Cable box? Most of these have the ability to control multiple units. Remove them from the area to see if they are the cause as well. They may need new batteries.

If you turn the TV off, will it come right back on immediately?

Does it make any noise when it turns on by itself?

Is there a consistent timing factor involved? For instance, if it turns off by itself, does it do this if the TV is on for 3 minutes?

o
RE: Magnavox TV model 20MS3442/17 turns on and off

Once when I first got Dish my neighbor was turning mine off somehow. Their customer service figured it out somehow.

I've an old $79 TV that gets on one of these trips quite often. Just unplugging it for 15 minutes may fix it for a day or a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here