Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Looking for a good small 19-inch TV

jenn
16 years ago

We're looking for a small (about 19") TV to mount on the blank wall we face while walking on our treadmill. We were hoping for a little inexpensive one, maybe $150.00 or so, but we're wondering if we can find anything decent for that price. We looked at a few flat-screen models today.... nice, but for more than $300.00.

If we don't mound it on the wall, we'll put it on a shelf mounted to the wall on brackets.

Can anyone recommend a good small (about 19" screen) TV for this purpose? It does not need to include a DVD player, or entertain a crowd. We just want something to break the monotony of a long indoor walk, but with a decent picture and sound and it works well. :-)

Jen

Comments (8)

• jdbillp
    16 years ago

Most of the better tv companies have stopped making tube tv's.

Add into that the fact that ALL tv's imported or made in USA have to have a digital tv tuner which raises the price.

But, try Wal*Mart and you might find something.

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Also keep in mind total cost of operation. LCD TVs use so much less electricity than tube TVs that that really ought to be considered as part of how much it costs to buy. This probably won't have as much impact on a relatively little-used TV like this one, but every little bit helps, and I know my electric utility isn't asking the public service commission to reduce any electrical rates. :-p

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, but we're not necessarily looking for a tube TV... just a small TV that sells for a low price.

After thinking about it, I think the TV will be used more than I originally thought. The treadmill shares space with the computer, so we could use it quite a bit.

So, I'll re-phrase my question:

Can anyone recommend a very good small (about 19") LCD TV? :-)

Jen

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Sharp sells some very nice LCD TVs. So do Samsung and Sony. None of those companies, though, have a reputation for cheap LCD TVs. You're also somewhat below the "sweet spot" for the most competitive market. There is not as much demand for smaller screens as there is for 36"-40" screens.

If you're a bit of a gambler, you could try for a TV with a brand heavily associated with one of the big Chinese screen fabricators. These brands would include Westinghouse, Polaroid, Vizio, Chi Mei, Konka, and Funai. These brands should be less expensive because they don't have the marketing expenses or long-standing reputations of Samsung/Sony/Sharp. The downside here would be the ability/willingness of the "manufacturer" to support the product, especially a few years down the line.

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Steve. Knowing us, we'll probably end up forking out the money for a non-cheap LCD. That's what we usually do after initially setting out with a budget price in mind, then discovering that the features we want/need exist way out of the original budget. We then realize that spending even $50.00 is expensive if we won't use it (or if it won't work for long).

• mad_p67
    16 years ago

Jenn,
    Wondering what TV you ended up getting and how happy you've been with it.

• jenn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nothing so far.... we're still looking. Actually we're trying to pay off a bill first, then we will take a more serious look. Thanks for asking... I'll post about it when we find it.

• catbird
    15 years ago

Jenn: Did you ever get one? We need a small flat screen for the kitchen counter and I wondered if you found one you like.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro