Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
house remodel

Posted by doogan123 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 22:43

Hi everyone,

I am doing a full remodel on my house. I want to plan ahead for some electronics, central audio, and whatever else i should do, however I really have not had the time to plan out this.

I am running a voice and data (cat 6) to each room, However what else should i run and where. I know its a loaded question. Once my remodel is done, i would like to have the cabling in place to "Play with some electronic's"

Vague i know - but any input appreciated

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: house remodel

Check out Gefen (www.gefen.com) for home theatre wiring and extenders. What is the maximum distance you will be running cables?

You need to consider RG6, HMDI, DVI, and Fiber Optic (the future) too.

Make absolutely sure that these cables will not be near your electrical wiring or you will get interference and signal loss.

o

If you're gutting the house to the studs, you can "futureproof" by running conduit through the rooms and between floors. That way if Cat 8 becomes standard in 2015, you can simply run new cable through the conduit rather than fish it through the walls. It's a lot cheaper to run conduit now.

o

thanks for the replies and good advice guys -

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here