Return to the Electronics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Video Surveillance configuration questions

Posted by Backyard_vacation (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 22:39

I need to get a video surveillance system because our house has been vandalized at night. I have gotten 4 estimates and 4 totally different approaches. Does anyone have experience with the various types of cameras (HD vs IP), how many megapixels are enough for identification, what area is covered by different camera focal lengths, bullet vs dome cameras, etc. I was able to install a pretty elaborate home automation system and a new security system which are now integrated together but the video surveillance has me stumped. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Video Surveillance configuration questions

I am not that into security cameras, however I do deal with them alot with my job... So as for the technical aspect I cannot give any advice.. Just a quick little bit of advice.. Do not make the same mistake that many people do and mount the cameras extremely high... This is a common mistake and the most frequent response is "i wanted to get everything into view".. A camera mounted at the corner of the second story will give you nothing except the top of someones head.. You want to mount the cameras lower to the ground where they will get a good face shot.. People all the time give me video and say "i got them on camera doing this or that.. go lock them up".. the problem is that the video shows someone but you will never get a positive id.. and life isnt like CSI Miami where it will get enhanced.. Something to also look into is a sensor put at the entry way to your property.. Something breaks the sensors beam and it sounds an alert to you.. You then catch them in the act.. Again.. I know this doesnt help you with your question but just a little advice..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electronics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here